Re: ISO 8601 for .Net - zoneinfo

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 21, 2007
      > http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm

      That looks pretty evil. Not _Microsoft_ evil, but somewhat evil.

      I'm sure any platform could use the information not just Unix. A file
      is just a bunch of bytes.
    • Charles Salvo
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 21, 2007

        I never suggested that ISO 8601 include time zone information. But ISO creates innumerable specs.

        The tz database group tracks DST changes from a network of members around the world who read the local papers and follow legislation.

        ISO could provide a central repository of all DST changes.

        After I use ISO 8601 to exchange time information, I am free to convert to any local time as I see fit. For example, before telephoning Europe , I always convert to their local time ---- doesn’t make me a bad person.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 21, 2007
          > ISO could provide a central repository of all DST changes.

          Yes, they could. Or the U.N.

          Oh, wait, you said DST -- DST is evil.

          > After I use ISO 8601 to exchange time information, I am free to
          convert to
          > any local time as I see fit. For example, before telephoning Europe, I
          > always convert to their local time ---- doesn't make me a bad person.

          True, but then ISO 8601 wouldn't be involved anyway. Were you to
          _schedule_ the call, by interchanging the time in the future that you
          would like to make the call, you can make a rough estimate of what
          local time might be acceptable to the recipient, but you should still
          use UTC, in case you make a mistake, or the recipient isn't using the
          expected offset.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 27, 2007
            In a message dated 1/21/2007 10:22:19 A.M. Central Standard Time, csalvo@... writes:

            I’m surprised that ISO has not tried to bring some uniformity to this.

            Right, uniformity is critical.

            tz.database is a compiled database.  All compilers are not equal.

            The problems are daily.

            hjw
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 27, 2007
              In a message dated 1/21/2007 9:53:35 P.M. Central Standard Time, csalvo@... writes:

              ISO could provide a central repository of all DST changes.

              This is a UNICODE W3C project

              Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR) Project

              "Not long ago, computer systems were like separate worlds, isolated from one another. The internet and related events have changed all that. A single system can be built of many different components, hardware and software, all needing to work together. Many different technologies have been important in bridging the gaps; in the internationalization arena, Unicode has provided a lingua franca for communicating textual data. But there remain differences in the locale data used by different systems.

              Common, recommended practice for internationalization is to store and communicate language-neutral data, and format that data for the client. This formatting can take place on any of a number of the components in a system; a server might format data based on the user's locale, or it could be that a client machine does the formatting. The same goes for parsing data, and locale-sensitive analysis of data.

              http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2004-04-21-a.html

              hjw