Week code and serial numbers

  • monahan.p@euro.apple.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2001
      Hello Folks,

      I am trying to get my company to convert to ISO 1806 for the
      assignment of the week code used in our serial numbers.

      I need clear rules that state when the year code and week code
      used in a serial number should change at the start of a new
      year.

      For the purpose of this discussion , I will use a serial number
      format that includes the following year and week code fields ;

      YYWWSSSSS

      Where ,

      YY ---> Year code , example year 2001 is ...... 01

      WW ---> Calendar week numer as per ISO 1806

      SSSSS --> Counter code , resets to 00001 at the start of
      a new week

      As I understand it , ISO 1806 defines Monday as the first day of
      the week. It also defines week code " 01 " as the week that has
      the first Thursday of that year.

      In the case of a year where January the first is a Sunday , for
      example 2006 , a serial number assigned to a product built on
      Sunday 20060101 [ 1-JAN-2006 ] would have the following year
      code and week code data ;

      Year code -----> 05
      Week code ---> 52

      The logic that I use is that the week code only changes at the
      start of a new week. Sunday is not the start of a new week. The
      year code is only checked at the start of a new week.

      A serial number assigned to a product built on Monday
      20060102 [ 2-JAN-2006 ] would have the following year code
      and week code data ;

      Year code -----> 06
      Week code ---> 01

      An example that features a week code 53 is Saturday 20050101
      [ 1-JAN-2005 ]. Serial number assigned to a product built on
      Saturday 20050101 [ 1-JAN-2005 ] and Sunday 20050102 [ 2-
      JAN-2005 ] would have the following year code and week code
      data ;

      Year code ------> 04
      Week code -----> 53

      Serial number assigned to a product built on Monday 20050103
      [ 3-JAN-2005 ] would have the following year code and week
      code data ;

      Year code ------> 05
      Week code -----> 01

      Is the above logic correct ? Does ISO 1806 address the use of a
      week code in serial numbers ?

      Regards,
      Pat
    • monahan.p@euro.apple.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2001
        Hello Again Folks,
        Not a very good start , geting the ISO number wrong. I am of
        course referring to ISO 8601.

        Regards,
        Pat