Re: Assumptions ...

    Message 1 of 49 , Sep 27, 2006
      Well all I can say is I guess the W3C is right to support fewer
      formats than ISO 8601. Not only does their dateTime datatype only
      support "calendar date", it only allows fractions on seconds (and
      doesn't allow "basic format") ...

      From http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime :

      "
      3.2.7.1 Lexical representation
      The ·lexical space· of dateTime consists of finite-length sequences
      of characters of the form: '-'? yyyy '-' mm '-' dd 'T' hh ':' mm ':'
      ss ('.' s+)? (zzzzzz)?, where

      '-'? yyyy is a four-or-more digit optionally negative-signed numeral
      that represents the year; if more than four digits, leading zeros are
      prohibited, and '0000' is prohibited (see the Note above (§3.2.7);
      also note that a plus sign is not permitted);
      the remaining '-'s are separators between parts of the date portion;
      the first mm is a two-digit numeral that represents the month;
      dd is a two-digit numeral that represents the day;
      'T' is a separator indicating that time-of-day follows;
      hh is a two-digit numeral that represents the hour; '24' is permitted
      if the minutes and seconds represented are zero, and the dateTime
      value so represented is the first instant of the following day (the
      hour property of a dateTime object in the ·value space· cannot have a
      value greater than 23);
      ':' is a separator between parts of the time-of-day portion;
      the second mm is a two-digit numeral that represents the minute;
      ss is a two-integer-digit numeral that represents the whole seconds;
      '.' s+ (if present) represents the fractional seconds;
      zzzzzz (if present) represents the timezone (as described below).
      "

      As the ISO is so much more permissive than the W3C, they probably
      _should_ define formats for fractional dates. After all, they never
      say what any particular value _means_ anyway.
    • John Hynes
      Message 49 of 49 , Oct 2, 2006
        --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "piebaldconsult" <PIEBALDconsult@...>
        wrote:
        > I really thought someone would point out that "two groups of Borg" is
        > an oxymoron.

        Not really. Although they share a collective consciousness, or
        whatever, they are made up of individual units, which are organized
        into adjuncts, unimatrices, cubes, etc. It is possible to be situated
        between two borg cubes, or merely between two groups of borgs coming
        from opposite directions.