Date Format

  • siddharthab19
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
      Can anyone tell me which are the Official Departments in US who advice
      on using the day month year order in their official documents rather
      than usual month day year order?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 11, 2006
        --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "siddharthab19" <siddharthab19@...>
        wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me which are the Official Departments in US who
        advice
        > on using the day month year order in their official documents rather
        > than usual month day year order?

        I doubt any regularly use that format. But I notice my passport is in
        that order, but the month is spelled out. Perhap the government does it
        where we are party to some intenalional standard.

        Do you want your message understood in the US or elsewhere? If you want
        both, ISO8601 format is your best bet, and what this forum is about.
      • Michael Deckers
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
          Concerning the question posed by siddharthab19:

          > Can anyone tell me which are the Official Departments in US who
          > advise on using the day month year order in their official documents
          > rather than usual month day year order?

          Date notations like 12 JUN 2006 are used in the US military
          and they sure have written rules for this.

          Michael Deckers
        • jc19881997
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2006
            On almost all U.S. forms they always state the date in MM/DD/YYYY
            format however one U.S. Customs declaration form that I've seen
            currently being used instructs the date to be written in DD/MM/YYYY
            format which I find odd.

            --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "johnmsteele" <johnmsteele@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "siddharthab19" <siddharthab19@>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > Can anyone tell me which are the Official Departments in US who
            > advice
            > > on using the day month year order in their official documents
            rather
            > > than usual month day year order?
            > >

            > I doubt any regularly use that format. But I notice my passport is
            in
            > that order, but the month is spelled out. Perhap the government
            does it
            > where we are party to some intenalional standard.
            >
            > Do you want your message understood in the US or elsewhere? If you
            want
            > both, ISO8601 format is your best bet, and what this forum is
            about.

          • NGUYEN Ivy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 23, 2006
              Right. I guess there probably is a rule to be unambiguous, and a
              format like '23 Aug 2006' would be unambiguous for anyone reading the
              (English) document it's displayed in.