[ISO8601] NASA and NOAA Get Their act Together.

  • g1smd@amsat.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001
      [2001-Apr-02]

      I note that the following Web Sites of:
      NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
      <http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/>
      <http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/>
      as well as :
      NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
      <http://www.sel.noaa.gov/>
      now publish nearly all of their information using the Year-Month-Day date
      format. The formats they use range across:
      2001 January 07
      2001 January 7
      2001-Jan-07
      2001 Jan 07
      2001 Jan 7
      2001 Jan
      2001-01-07
      2001/01/07
      20010107
      2001.01
      Although most of these formats do not comply exactly with the ISO 8601
      standard, they are all so close (they ALL use Year-Month-Day ordering) that
      we should still be able to fully understand what is being said.

      Some good examples to quote to others, if you are stuggling to think of a
      major organisation that has made the change. However you must have forgotten
      about IBM, Lycos, W3C, and dozens of others already...

      My new Web Site will contain a page entitled 'Who uses the Year-Month-Day
      date format?'. Perhaps, if everyone on this mailing list provides me with
      several examples each, then this will be a page that really pushes the
      process forwards. Over to you...

      <mail://g1smd@...>

      <http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/>
      <http://home.freeuk.net/g1smd/>
      <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dstrange/y2k.htm>

      <ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/ham/misc/g1smd.zip>
      <ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/g1smd/>

      [2001-04-02]

      .end