[ISO8601] Document for Discussion.

  • g1smd@amsat.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
      [2001-Apr-02]

      Many of you may have heard of a software design 'process' called
      Internationalis(z)ation(!), often abbreviated to 'i18n'.

      I am currently writing a piece called "Internationalisation 'i18n', versus
      Globalisation, 'g11n'" (what a lot of syllables for only three words!!),
      where I make the case that software would be better off just using one
      globally accepted date format (viz ISO 8601) rather than trying to print a
      different date format (11/22/99 or 22-11-99 or 99.11.22) in each country of use.

      This is very much in draft form, and has been revised and added to more than
      a dozen times in the last week or so. Every time I read through it, I think
      of some better, or additional, wording. I will usually upload the latest
      version to my FTP Site soon after each change.

      The file is currently posted at:
      <ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/g1smd/i18n.txt>
      and it should download in well under 30 seconds.

      If anyone here feels like downloading this document, reviewing it, and
      letting me have any ideas for additional material, correcting mistakes, or
      just providing any comments on it, then I would welcome some fresh input. I
      have not checked the spelling yet, and a few of the facts have to be
      verified. If you do provide additional comments, please do not send the
      whole of the document back to me in your email.

      When this document is complete, it will form a part of my Web Site, the
      whole of which is being updated, rewritten, and redesigned, hopefully to go
      live next month. The site will remain at: <http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/> as
      ever, but I also hope to mirror it all at a new location:
      <http://home.freeuk.net/g1smd/> as well.

      <mail://g1smd@...>

      <http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/>
      <http://home.freeuk.net/g1smd/>
      <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dstrange/y2k.htm>

      <ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/ham/misc/g1smd.zip>
      <ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/g1smd/>

      [2001-04-02]

      .end
    • Pete Forman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
        g1smd@... writes:
        > The file is currently posted at:
        > <ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/g1smd/i18n.txt>
        > and it should download in well under 30 seconds.
        >
        > If anyone here feels like downloading this document, reviewing it,
        > and letting me have any ideas for additional material, correcting
        > mistakes, or just providing any comments on it, then I would
        > welcome some fresh input.

        In the paragraph about ISO 4217 you use a Windows character for Euro.
        Hopefully Yen and Euro will be rendered properly in your final
        document using ISO 8859-15 or Unicode.

        The paragraph about characters has some incorrect references. ISO
        11047 is about soil quality :-) I think that you are looking for ISO
        10646. This is not the same as Unicode. 10646 uses 31 bits, Unicode
        is 16 bit. The two standards are kept in sync and Unicode may be
        treated as an approximate subset of ISO 10646. Although the code
        points are the same there are subtle differences.
        --
        Pete Forman -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
        WesternGeco -./\.- by myself and does not represent
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
          Pete,

          Actually, Unicode is not 16-bit, or not 16-bit anymore.
          The characters range in scalar values from 0..10FFFF.
          And version 3.1 of Unicode now includes a UTF-32 complement to
          UTF-8, and UTF-16. The 3 forms are equivalent and therefore Unicode
          need not be thought of as being based on 16-bit characters.

          Also, there is a proposal to restrict 10646 to the same range
          as Unicode, since there is more than enough space in the
          Unicode range for additional characters.

          tex

          Pete Forman wrote:

          > g1smd@... writes:
          > > The file is currently posted at:
          > > <ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/g1smd/i18n.txt>
          > > and it should download in well under 30 seconds.
          > >
          > > If anyone here feels like downloading this document, reviewing it,
          > > and letting me have any ideas for additional material, correcting
          > > mistakes, or just providing any comments on it, then I would
          > > welcome some fresh input.
          >
          > In the paragraph about ISO 4217 you use a Windows character for Euro.
          > Hopefully Yen and Euro will be rendered properly in your final
          > document using ISO 8859-15 or Unicode.
          >
          > The paragraph about characters has some incorrect references. ISO
          > 11047 is about soil quality :-) I think that you are looking for ISO
          > 10646. This is not the same as Unicode. 10646 uses 31 bits, Unicode
          > is 16 bit. The two standards are kept in sync and Unicode may be
          > treated as an approximate subset of ISO 10646. Although the code
          > points are the same there are subtle differences.
          > --
          > Pete Forman -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
          > WesternGeco -./\.- by myself and does not represent
          > pete.forman@... -./\.- opinion of Schlumberger, Baker
          > http://www.crosswinds.net/~petef -./\.- Hughes or their divisions.

          According to Murphy, nothing goes according to Hoyle.
          Tex Texin Director, International Business
          mailto:Texin@... +1-781-280-4271 Fax:+1-781-280-4655
          Progress Software Corp. 14 Oak Park, Bedford, MA 01730
          Sign up now for PROGRESS Worldwide Exchange 2001-Jun-03..07, Washington
          DC.
          http://www.progress.com/exchange