Re: [ISO8601] New file uploaded to ISO8601

  • Michael Deckers
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
      PIEBALDconsult@... wrote on ISO8601@yahoogroups.com:

      > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the ISO8601
      > group.
      >
      > File : /ISO8601ambiguities.doc
      > Uploaded by : piebaldconsult <PIEBALDconsult@...>
      > Description : Dissertation on ambiguities
      >
      > You can access this file at the URL:

      Thanks, this is a very helpful list.
      I've done a similar thing for ISO 8601:2000. Comparing
      with the situation in ISO 8601:2000, I note:

      "-xx" etc
      many "truncated" formats starting with a hyphen
      existed in ISO 8601:2000, such as -YY, -DDD,
      -YYMM. All these can be confused with -CC, -CCC etc
      if the minus sign and the hyphen are represented
      by the same character.

      "xxxxx"
      this format was allowed in ISO 8601:2000 for
      ordinal dates YYDDD. Similarly, YYMMDD was
      allowed in ISO 8601:2000.

      If one keeps in mind that both the omission of the
      separator T as well as the use of more than 2 digits for
      the centennial year digits require mutual agreement between
      sender and recipient, then each format has at most
      one interpretation that does not require such agreement.
      This held true for ISO 8601:2000 and seems to be valid
      for ISO 8601:2004 as well.

      Michael Deckers