Re: My kids found the following interesting, maybe you might also.

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
      > I optimized it for computers.
      > Professor Dr J R Stockton, Surrey, UK. optimized it also and his
      runs
      > twice as fast as what I had developed.

      I expect that the calculations built into the C library and such which
      yield day of week are similarly fast. I doubt I could beat them and
      would not try.

      <aside>
      A month or so ago I was looking into finding the greatest common
      divisor of two integers. I had a pretty crude algorithm that I had
      written some years ago. After telling a colleague about it, he very
      quickly pointed me in the right direction...

      Euclid's algorithm, developed around 300 BC! Very very fast on a
      computer.

      http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookVII/propVII2.html
      </aside>
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
        > <aside>
        > A month or so ago I was looking into finding the greatest common
        > divisor of two integers. I had a pretty crude algorithm that I had
        > written some years ago. After telling a colleague about it, he very
        > quickly pointed me in the right direction...
        >
        > Euclid's algorithm, developed around 300 BC! Very very fast on a
        > computer.
        >
        > http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookVII/propVII2.html
        > </aside>

        That's a nice proof!