Re: [ISO8601] My kids found the following interesting, maybe you might also.

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
      In a message dated 2/7/2006 9:52:57 A.M. Central Daylight Time, tex@... writes:
      The problem is terminology. I am guessing you mean the date when Daylight Saving time starts and stops.
      I thought you were talking about "daylight"- ie the time the sunrises and the time the sunsets on any day.
      yes, you are right.
      I should have said daylight savings.

      hjw

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
        > I optimized it for computers.
        > Professor Dr J R Stockton, Surrey, UK. optimized it also and his
        runs
        > twice as fast as what I had developed.

        I expect that the calculations built into the C library and such which
        yield day of week are similarly fast. I doubt I could beat them and
        would not try.

        <aside>
        A month or so ago I was looking into finding the greatest common
        divisor of two integers. I had a pretty crude algorithm that I had
        written some years ago. After telling a colleague about it, he very
        quickly pointed me in the right direction...

        Euclid's algorithm, developed around 300 BC! Very very fast on a
        computer.

        http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookVII/propVII2.html
        </aside>
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
          > <aside>
          > A month or so ago I was looking into finding the greatest common
          > divisor of two integers. I had a pretty crude algorithm that I had
          > written some years ago. After telling a colleague about it, he very
          > quickly pointed me in the right direction...
          >
          > Euclid's algorithm, developed around 300 BC! Very very fast on a
          > computer.
          >
          > http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookVII/propVII2.html
          > </aside>

          That's a nice proof!