Re: The biggest opponents against ISO-8601

  • Aristeo Canlas Fernando
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5 8:23 PM
      Dear hjwoudenberg and Fellow 8601 promoters,

      --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, hjwoudenberg@a... wrote:

      > Microsoft advocates. They want Microsoft date and time data type.

      Could you please state the Microsoft date and time data type? If
      Microsoft could be persuaded to use the ISO 8601 convention, it would
      greatly boost the adoption of the data type as stated in ISO 8601.
      Microsoft is just too influential.

      Best regards,
      Aristeo Canlas Fernando, Peace Crusader
      Motto: pro aris et focis
      http://www.geocities.com/peacecrusader888/
    • Bruce Landwaster
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9 4:15 AM
        I've never seen any anti-ISO8601 from MS. Please supply
        evidence of such.

        I have high doubts MS is rejecting a format that allows
        noncomplex comparrisons of dates.

        --- Aristeo Canlas Fernando <calendaracf@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear hjwoudenberg and Fellow 8601 promoters,
        >
        > --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, hjwoudenberg@a... wrote:
        > >
        > > Microsoft advocates. They want Microsoft date and time
        > data type.
        >
        > Could you please state the Microsoft date and time data
        > type? If
        > Microsoft could be persuaded to use the ISO 8601
        > convention, it would
        > greatly boost the adoption of the data type as stated in
        > ISO 8601.
        > Microsoft is just too influential.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Aristeo Canlas Fernando, Peace Crusader
        > Motto: pro aris et focis
        > http://www.geocities.com/peacecrusader888/

        -Pyster
        "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge
        is limited; imagination encircles the world." - Einstein

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Metzger, Greg
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9 5:00 AM
          At this instant, the date and time stamp for Carlisle, PA is
          20051109_080235, as in YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS, and no, it's not debatable.

          Dear hjwoudenberg and Fellow 8601 promoters,

          --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, hjwoudenberg@a... wrote:

          > Microsoft advocates. They want Microsoft date and time data type.

          Could you please state the Microsoft date and time data type? If
          Microsoft could be persuaded to use the ISO 8601 convention, it would
          greatly boost the adoption of the data type as stated in ISO 8601.
          Microsoft is just too influential.

          Best regards,
          Aristeo Canlas Fernando, Peace Crusader
          Motto: pro aris et focis
          http://www.geocities.com/peacecrusader888/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          This e-mail, and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only. The content may also contain legal, professional or other privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, by return of email, and then delete the e-mail and any attachments. You should not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance on this transmission.

          Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any documents from this transmission.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9 12:46 PM
            In a message dated 11/9/2005 2:42:30 P.M. Central Standard Time, greg.metzger@... writes:
            Could you please state the Microsoft date and time data type?

            Best regards,
            Aristeo Canlas Fernando, Peace Crusader
            Motto:  pro aris et focis
            It is 64-bit binary.  Is that what you want?
            As I understand, the first 32-bits are days and the last 32-bits are the fraction of a day.

            hjw
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9 9:04 PM
              Used where and for what purpose?

              "Metzger, Greg" wrote:

              > At this instant, the date and time stamp for Carlisle, PA is
              > 20051109_080235, as in YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS, and no, it's not debatable.

            • Peter Haas
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9 11:17 PM
                on 2005-11-09T21:46:32+01:00 hjwoudenberg wrote:
                > It is 64-bit binary. Is that what you want?
                > As I understand, the first 32-bits are days and the last 32-bits are the
                > fraction of a day.

                You are sure? Where Microsoft use this format? I don't know it.

                Microsoft use different binary formats to store datetime values in
                different parts of MS operation and development systems, based on
                different methods. A developer can use existing functions to convert
                between this formats and also between binary formats and text formats.
                A Microsoft Windows user don't need to interpret any binary
                representation. For communication with the user Microsoft support
                system and user dependent text representations. At least since Windows
                98 Microsoft support the ISO 8601 format in the locale settings, every
                user, which want, can choose it.

                Please note, that the decision to use a text or a binary format is
                dependent of the applicaton. To give you some examples: If you need a
                format, which is readable/writable by a user you should use a text
                format. If you need a format to exchange data between two partner with
                minimal agreement you should use a widely used text format like ISO
                8601, e.g. used in XML. If you need a internal format to calculate
                with date and time values, you should use a binary format, which based
                on a continuous time scale, like Unix time, Windows FILETIME, OLE
                date, any Julian day number.

                If anybody use a binary format internally or in binary files, he don't
                is a opponent against ISO 8601. He simple use a format dependend of the
                application, maybe he use ISO 8601 parallel for more suitable purposes.

                Nevertheless, please note again, that this is a ISO 8601 discussion
                group. Please stop postings which don't have any real relation to ISO
                8601, like many of your postings in the past. E.g. please discuss
                binary date and time formats in mailing list, which are are intended
                for this.

                wkr Peter.