Re: [ISO8601] DST

  • John Steele
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 24, 2005
      The -5 (Eastern) timezone has several subsegments. The main (US and Canadian) one incorporates "US style" DST rules, and may now have to split. Indiana (and probably some South American countries) don't observe DST at all, and would be another segment. Since winter is reversed in Southern Hemisphere there is (probably) at least one subzone with reversed DST rules.

      I'm not sure I know the proper terminology but Google on tz timezone unix. The tz database is organized by continent and gives main time zone and dst rules by country, year by year, including parts of countries. It generally goes back to "mean solar time" before time zones.

      If you want to see a complete mess, look at +3 in Europe, MidEast. Every Middle Eastern country (if it has DST) has its own rule, in some cases deciding year by year.

      Tex Texin <tex@...> wrote:
      John, thanks. I have to admit to not knowing much about these zones, so
      my statement could have been off base.

      Still, it is up to individual markets to choose zones and when they
      change from one to another, so it strikes me as odd that the zone
      evaporates on a certain date and mysteriously reappears later, like a
      space warp on star trek.

      Now I wonder about Indiana not switching to daylight savings. Did it
      create a hole in the time zone?
      From the time zone's perspective does Indiana not exist? Is there a
      sound if a tree falls in the forest in Indiana when the rest of the
      country is on daylight savings, or is the sound there an hour earlier?
      later?

      Could this be where the 90% of the missing mass of the universe is
      hiding?

      Aargh!

      ;-)
      (Hey it's Sat. night. I'll research the time zone stuff a bit more. No,
      I won't be checking the computers of the USS Enterprise. )

      Good answer, although I might argue that when DST is in effect is part
      of the definition pf the zone. The tz database treats it that way, at
      least.

      The issues really are:
      *The short notice
      *The very marginal benefit at a time of year when length of day is
      already short.
      For areas well away from the equator, DST makes a great deal of sense
      for midsummer. Our LoD is >16 hours in summer, <8 in winter. You really
      can't arrange 8 hours of daylight to
      not use electric lights.

      Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex@...
      Xen Master                          http://www.i18nGuy.com

      XenCraft                        http://www.XenCraft.com
      Making e-Business Work Around the World
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 24, 2005
        I, for one, am totally anti-DST.

        My main complaint is that I don't want someone else deciding that _I_
        want to adjust _my_ time. If a particular shop or employer wants to
        adjust its hours that's fine by me, but leave me the hell alone.

        Plus I don't see how DST can save a significant amount of energy when
        modern offices have their lights (and air conditioning) on only during
        the daylight hours anyway. (Well, some have them on 24/7.)

        Fortunately I now live in Arizona, blessedly DST-free.
      • pyster
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 25, 2005
          I have noticed a common theme amongsted those that hold strong
          anti-DST feelings: Selfishness.

          --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "piebaldconsult" <PIEBALDconsult@a...>
          wrote:
          > I, for one, am totally anti-DST.
          >
          > My main complaint is that I don't want someone else deciding that _I_
          > want to adjust _my_ time. If a particular shop or employer wants to
          > adjust its hours that's fine by me, but leave me the hell alone.
          >
          > Plus I don't see how DST can save a significant amount of energy when
          > modern offices have their lights (and air conditioning) on only during
          > the daylight hours anyway. (Well, some have them on 24/7.)
          >
          > Fortunately I now live in Arizona, blessedly DST-free.
        • NGUYEN Ivy
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 25, 2005
            Actually, not doing DST keeps in line with natural circadian rhythms
            for those who awaken and sleep at a certain time daily. So, it may be
            the countries who decide to do DST do it to only benefit them (and
            only them) alone (which may be considered selfish in itself?). They
            may not think about others in the world trying to calculate time
            differences between timezones, as well as computer software and
            hardware.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 25, 2005
              natural carcadian rhythms? human beings are remarkably adaptable. I
              have serious doubts that an hour is going throw off the chi of the
              entire planet. I've lived in DST all of my life, and in that time I
              cant think of a single person who needed more than a day to make the
              adjustment, if that.

              Anytime natural resources are conserved it benifits all of mankind,
              not just the countries/states/governments who have figured out how to
              consume just a little less. Less consumption, means less pollution,
              which means a more stable ecosystem friendly to our particular form
              of life.

              What is the percentage of people on the planet that need to figure
              out what time it is on some other spot of the globe? Of those people,
              what is the percentage of people who will find the task so difficult
              that they will completely fail? Now weigh this number against the
              remainder of the population and tell me that their need (which is
              simply to not be too mentally taxed) is greater than the needs of the
              rest of the planet.

              (I have no empathy for slackers or dolts)

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 26, 2005
                --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "pyster" <pyster@y...> wrote:
                > I have noticed a common theme amongsted those that hold strong
                > anti-DST feelings: Selfishness.

                Huh? It's the pro-DST folks who are selfish.
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 26, 2005
                  And furthermore...

                  Not only does it get lighter in summer (in the northern hemisphere),
                  but it _stays_ lighter longer. So it's just as valid to adjust one's
                  hours the other way (spring back, fall forward). But what makes the
                  most sense is to adjust _both_ ends, so a business that's open 9-5 in
                  winter would be open 8-6 in summer.

                  There are so many ways of doing it that it's impertinent for a body to
                  decide it for everyone.

                  As a further example of different ways to do it I'll mention again that
                  the congresscritter I had in SoCal wanted "double daylight saving
                  time", now _that's_ just nuts.

                  Abolish DST!!
                • David Settle
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 27, 2005
                    ISO8601@yahoogroups.com wrote on 27/07/2005 01:37:06:

                    > And furthermore...
                    >
                    > Not only does it get lighter in summer (in the northern hemisphere),
                    > but it _stays_ lighter longer. So it's just as valid to adjust one's
                    > hours the other way (spring back, fall forward). But what makes the
                    > most sense is to adjust _both_ ends, so a business that's open 9-5
                    in
                    > winter would be open 8-6 in summer.

                    As any fule no, DST moves daylight from the morning (when we're asleep) to the evening (when we're not). Not only do most people enjoy having more daylight in the evening (around two-thirds of those polled), it also reduces the total energy consumed in the country concerned by around 1%-3%.

                    Beats me why anyone would be against it.

                    However, this is off-topic and generating more heat than light (ho-ho), so can we talk about something else now?

                    Dave
                    --
                    Dave Settle
                    Deutsche Bank London
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 27, 2005
                      conserving resources is selfish?

                      --- piebaldconsult <PIEBALDconsult@...> wrote:

                      > --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "pyster" <pyster@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > I have noticed a common theme amongsted those that hold
                      > strong
                      > > anti-DST feelings: Selfishness.
                      >

                      > Huh? It's the pro-DST folks who are selfish.

                      -Pyster
                      "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge
                      is limited; imagination encircles the world." - Einstein

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 28, 2005
                        > As any fule no, DST moves daylight from the morning (when we're
                        asleep) to

                        Who's asleep? You? Why should _I_ adjust my hours just because _you_
                        want to sleep? That's selfish of you.

                        > the evening (when we're not). Not only do most people enjoy having
                        more

                        I still like to have dinner at sunset, why should I have to adjust my
                        clock?

                        > daylight in the evening (around two-thirds of those polled), it
                        also
                        > reduces the total energy consumed in the country concerned by
                        around
                        > 1%-3%.

                        How can that be when people use _more_ energy during daylight hours
                        rather than less? The whole concept of DST is centered around reduced
                        daylight energy use. And don't forget that Ben Franklin was _joking_!

                        > However, this is off-topic and generating more heat than light (ho-
                        ho), so

                        It goes to show why ISO8601 needn't support DST. When interchanging
                        data one should always send UTC and let the receiving party determine
                        what it means in their own personal zone.
                      • pyster
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 29, 2005
                          Ben Franklin was not joking.

                          Please present evidence supporting the idea that DST does not conserve
                          resources and that it actually uses more resources.

                          Your fine state of california's energy department claims that DST does
                          indeed does save energies.

                          Your personal likes and dislikes for when you like to eat dinner, get
                          up in the morning, sleep in, etc. are of zero importance to the
                          benifit of society. The root reason to use DST is energy consumption.

                          Time zone information is indeed important for time stamps.

                          Like I said. Selfish.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 29, 2005
                            There's someone on this forum who thinks way otherwise. If you awaken
                            and sleep at the same (absolute) time daily for years on end, you can
                            easily get used to that, and suddenly throwing in a missed hour can be
                            a problem.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 30, 2005
                              ok guys. that's enough off-topic bickering...

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 30, 2005
                                > benifit of society. The root reason to use DST is energy consumption.

                                You needn't change the clock to do that.
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 30, 2005
                                  > conserving resources is selfish?

                                  Do you know of any other laws (or whatever) that require people to
                                  conserve resources?

                                  (Always assuming that DST does indeed significantly conserve
                                  resources in our wasteful society (and getting moreso everyday), the
                                  U.S. I mean, no offense to the wiser cultures around the world.)

                                  My argument against DST is threefold:

                                  1) That adjusting our workday an hour earlier in the summer does not
                                  conserve significant resources, it may once have been true, but I'm
                                  sure the savings has been greatly reduced in the last few decades,
                                  due to increased use of air conditioning 24/7 (even when no one is in
                                  the building) and the use of electric lighting during daylight hours
                                  in so many office buildings (which are all windows, why is that?).

                                  2) There is no need to change the clocks to adjust the workday an
                                  hour earlier, just work 8-4 in summer rather than 9-5, no big deal.

                                  3) That the government has no place deciding for the people how they
                                  should conserve resources, especially when the plan they choose is
                                  the least likely to work.

                                  Let each individual decide for himself what plan works best for him.
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 30, 2005
                                    <PIEBALDconsult@a...> wrote:
                                    > > conserving resources is selfish?
                                    >
                                    > Do you know of any other laws (or whatever) that require people to
                                    > conserve resources?
                                    >
                                    > (Always assuming that DST does indeed significantly conserve
                                    > resources in our wasteful society (and getting moreso everyday),
                                    the
                                    > U.S. I mean, no offense to the wiser cultures around the world.)

                                    Well, I assume Europe is among those "wiser" cultures and oddly they
                                    have DST too (slightly different dates than us). :)

                                    As for "conserving" laws, some of these fall on the manufacturer and
                                    only raise our prices and restrict our choices, but:
                                    *CAFE requirements and "gas guzzler" tax on vehicles
                                    *Minimum efficiency standards for appliances, air conditioners, etc.
                                    *Minimum insulation requirements in new home construction
                                    *Legalization of "step" utility pricing, the more you use, the higher
                                    the rate.
                                    *Mandatory use of recycling bins, fines if you don't
                                    *Bottle deposits/recycling on soft drinks
                                    I'm sure the list is not all inclusive, just a start.
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 30, 2005
                                      Don't forget those damned low flow toilets.

                                      johnmsteele wrote:

                                      > --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "piebaldconsult"
                                      > <PIEBALDconsult@a...> wrote:
                                      > > > conserving resources is selfish?
                                      > >
                                      > > Do you know of any other laws (or whatever) that require people to
                                      > > conserve resources?
                                      > >
                                      > > (Always assuming that DST does indeed significantly conserve
                                      > > resources in our wasteful society (and getting moreso everyday),
                                      > the
                                      > > U.S. I mean, no offense to the wiser cultures around the world.)
                                      > >

                                      > Well, I assume Europe is among those "wiser" cultures and oddly they
                                      > have DST too (slightly different dates than us). :)
                                      >
                                      > As for "conserving" laws, some of these fall on the manufacturer and
                                      > only raise our prices and restrict our choices, but:
                                      > *CAFE requirements and "gas guzzler" tax on vehicles
                                      > *Minimum efficiency standards for appliances, air conditioners, etc.
                                      > *Minimum insulation requirements in new home construction
                                      > *Legalization of "step" utility pricing, the more you use, the higher
                                      > the rate.
                                      > *Mandatory use of recycling bins, fines if you don't
                                      > *Bottle deposits/recycling on soft drinks
                                      > I'm sure the list is not all inclusive, just a start.
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      Tex Texin cell: +1 781 789 1898 mailto:Tex@...
                                      Xen Master http://www.i18nGuy.com

                                      XenCraft http://www.XenCraft.com
                                      Making e-Business Work Around the World
                                    • B. Andrew
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 30, 2005

                                            At a risk of being scolded for being Off Topic, I need to stress that anything deviating, rather than working toward an acceptable world standard, is a futile exercise.  Hence the purpose of ISO 8601 and a number of other world standards we seem to accept and support.

                                        johnmsteele wrote:

                                        > --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "piebaldconsult"
                                        > <PIEBALDconsult@a...> wrote:
                                        > > > conserving resources is selfish?
                                        > >
                                        > > Do you know of any other laws (or whatever) that require people to
                                        > > conserve resources?
                                        > >
                                        > > (Always assuming that DST does indeed significantly conserve
                                        > > resources in our wasteful society (and getting moreso everyday),
                                        > the
                                        > > U.S. I mean, no offense to the wiser cultures around the world.)
                                        > >

                                        > Well, I assume Europe is among those "wiser" cultures and oddly they
                                        > have DST too (slightly different dates than us).  :)
                                        >
                                        > As for "conserving" laws, some of these fall on the manufacturer and
                                        > only raise our prices and restrict our choices, but:
                                        > *CAFE requirements and "gas guzzler" tax on vehicles
                                        > *Minimum efficiency standards for appliances, air conditioners, etc.
                                        > *Minimum insulation requirements in new home construction
                                        > *Legalization of "step" utility pricing, the more you use, the higher
                                        > the rate.
                                        > *Mandatory use of recycling bins, fines if you don't
                                        > *Bottle deposits/recycling on soft drinks
                                        > I'm sure the list is not all inclusive, just a start.
                                        >

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex@...
                                        Xen Master                          http://www.i18nGuy.com

                                        XenCraft             http://www.XenCraft.com
                                        Making e-Business Work Around the World

                                        ">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>

                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        Upgrade Your Email - Click here!