Re: [ISO8601] Leap second announcement

  • John Steele
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
      Fred Bone <fred.bone@...> wrote:
      It might also be the last. Moves are afoot to redefine the relationship
      between UTC and UT1. If accepted, then from 2007-12-21T00:00(*) UTC would
      no longer be kept within 0.9s of UT1; the limit would become 1h, which
      should see most of us out ...

      (*) No, I don't know why this date was chosen.

      I knew there were proposals for change, but it has been very hard to find out anything about them. It is apparently a small group working on it, that seems little interested in other opinions. Found this page which has a number of links to what little info there is, if anyone is interested.
    • NGUYEN Ivy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
        Maybe it was chosen because it is the December solstice? I still
        wonder about why 2007, though. One hour sounds like too much of a
        difference to let UT1 & UTC stay out-of-sync to me.