[ISO8601] Re: egroups date listing.

  • g1smd@amsat.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2001
      On 2001-Jan-23 Dave Clark <dave.clark@...> wrote:

      > I cannot believe I am the first to notice this, but....
      >
      > The date listing on the eGroups ISO8601 is in format mm/dd/yyyy.
      > Who can we get to fix this?

      [2001-Jan-24]

      Er, you're not, but no-one at egroups takes any notice of emails. Several in
      this group have already tried.

      You'll laugh at this. At the beginning of last year all messages were
      stamped with the date having the year 100. Well, I suppose that it is one
      more than 99!!

      It took a few days before 2000 started appearing. Maybe soon we can convince
      them to use Year-Month-Day.

      IBM have already done it. FTP Search at <http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/> has
      done it (well the software was written in Norway where Y-M-D is well known),
      as have several other search engines. Parts of NASA, at
      <http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/> and <http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/> have
      joined in. As more sites changeover, the easier it becomes to find examples
      when suggesting that others make the change. However with thousands of new
      sites coming online each day, we can never keep up. That is why the next
      thrust is in ensuring that automated systems, like those run on XML all use
      ISO 8601 as the default, and preferably the ONLY, allowed date format.

      I belong to an astronomy group that also has an egroups account. We always
      find it funny that egroups doesn't use the format that astronomers have been
      comfortable with for the last 200 years or more.

      <mail://g1smd@...>

      <http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/>
      <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dstrange/y2k.htm>

      <ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/ham/misc/g1smd.zip>
      <ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/g1smd/>

      [2001-01-24]

      .end