Re: [ISO8601] Re: meaning of time-interval

  • Klaus Schmid
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 31, 2005
      NGUYEN Adam wrote:

      > The second example of adding exactly 1 day to UTC noon on a 30
      > June that has a leap second should result in UTC noon on 1 July
      > (12:00), as hours aren't being added; just days.

      I agree that this would be reasonable, but after rereading the standard
      I have severe doubts about that. In "Fundamental principles/Basic
      Concepts" duration is defined as a quantity of time expressed in
      time-units. Days, hours and minutes are fixed time units with fixed
      conversion rules to SI-seconds. Consequently:

      1997-06-30T12:00:00/1D == 1997-06-30T12:00:00/1997-07-01T11:59:59

      It would be interesting to test this with an application which claims to
      be ISO-conform.

      As far I can see now, the following statement of the standard does not
      apply in this example:
      "This International Standard does not assign any particular meaning or
      interpretation to any data element that uses representations in
      accordance with this International Standard. Such meaning will be
      determined by the context of the application."

      But I think it has to be applied if months are used to define a
      duration, because the time-unit month is defined broadly as 28, 29, 30
      or 31 days and therefor is open to be defined in detail by an application.

      That means a term like 2005-05-31/1M has no particular meaning per se.

      So far my current understanding of the standard. Corrections welcome.

      -- Klaus
    • Pete Forman
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1 8:31 AM
        If someone was born on 2004-02-29 when is their first birthday? You
        might say 2005-03-01 or 2005-02-28. Does that mean that they have the
        same birthday as someone born on 2004-03-01 or 2004-02-28?

        There is a general expectation of addition that subtraction of the
        addend from the sum gives the original.

        Arbitrary arithmetic is not be possible using any units. You cannot
        add anything to 1997-06-30T23:59:60Z except for 1Y6M and similar. A
        small number of seconds would be okay but a large interval could not
        extend more than a few months into the future because of
        unpredictability of leap seconds. Any other units would produce a
        result with 60 in the seconds.

        The only way to do correct interval arithmetic is to use something
        like TAI. But that is off topic for ISO 8601.

        IMHO the intent of time-intervals involving duration in ISO 8601 is
        that the start + duration or end - duration should (must?) be a valid
        date-time without having to apply any normalization rules.

        --
        Pete Forman -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
        WesternGeco -./\.- by myself and does not represent
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1 9:02 AM
          But certain combinations using duration DO result in invalid start or end times. Do we just not speak of them (you aren't allowed to use "duration" in those cases) or do we have normalization rules? I think normalization rules make more sense, but some cases, either of two values may seem "reasonable." They can either be agreed by the partners or standardized within the scope of the standard. I think it would be better to have proposed normalization rules in the standard "unless otherwise agreed by the partners."

          Pete Forman <pete.forman@...> wrote:

          IMHO the intent of time-intervals involving duration in ISO 8601 is
          that the start + duration or end - duration should (must?) be a valid
          date-time without having to apply any normalization rules.
        • NGUYEN Adam
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1 4:27 PM
            For the birthday on 29 February, I (personally) probably would
            celebrate it on 1 March on non-leap years if I had such a birthday, because
            28 February on any kind of year is before 29 February.

            Something slightly off-topic, but may apply to the latest
            discussions on here has to do with my wristwatch, a Casio G-Shock that has
            the date in YYYY M- D ('2000 1- 13' for 13 January 2000) format and time
            in 24-hour format. I can set any of the five alarms to go off on certain
            dates: either every day in a particular month (shown as ' 1- - -' for
            every day in January), every month on a particular day (like every 15th day
            of every month, shown as '- --15' for the 15th day of every month), or on
            an exact date (like every 14 January, shown as ' 1-14'). I wonder what
            would happen should I set the alarm to go off on every 31st day, or a
            similar day number within a month. Perhaps it will sound only seven times a
            year (on the months with 31 days)? If not, I would guess the next logical
            thing it should do would be to sound on the last day of every month.

            Any opinions?

            PS: I wonder why ISO 8601 doesn't allow for time zone offsets beyond
            minute-resolution (eg. YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ss±hh:mm:ss.sss…) (like that
            historical Netherlands offset having centisecond-resolution).

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2 5:34 AM
              But the presence of leap seconds means that not even days, hours, and
              minutes are fixed time units, so the portion of the standard you
              quoted is in error.

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2 5:42 AM
                This is what makes this subject so interesting. It may also be why
                ISO8601 only defines the formats, but doesn't define what the data
                _means_. It is up to the partners in information interchange to
                decide what they want to do with the stuff.

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 2 5:50 AM
                  The "alternative" representation is intended to impose range limits
                  on the values. E.g. you shouldn't put a number larger than 24 in the
                  hour field.

                  --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, Klaus Schmid <klaus.schmid@w...>
                  wrote:
                  > It seems the standard provides different representations of a
                  > time-interval, therefor it should be possible to convert one
                  > representation into another, e.g.:
                  >
                  > 19850412T232000/P1Y2M15DT12H ==
                  >
                  > == 19850412T232000/<<<<<<1985 +1Y> +6M> +27D>T +35H> +20M> +0S> ==
                  >
                  > == 19850412T232000/19860628T112000
                  >
                  > Is this interpretation of the standard correct, or does the actual
                  > meaning of a time-interval depend on mutual agreement?
                  >
                  > -- Klaus
                • Harry Shipley
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 2 8:05 AM
                    Comments attached

                    Harry Shipley

                    * If someone was born on 2004-02-29 when is their first birthday? You
                    * might say 2005-03-01 or 2005-02-28. Does that mean that they have the
                    * same birthday as someone born on 2004-03-01 or 2004-02-28?

                    [Harry Shipley]
                    The birthday is one year later; which year length (tropical, leap, Gregorian
                    ordinary or sidereal to name but a few) you choose from is up to you
                    depending on what you wish to celebrate. The problem is compounded by the
                    fact that no-one knows how long a year is, particularly because it is a
                    varying quantity. Part of the confusion here is that leap years are being
                    added to some dates and ordinary years to others; little wonder that
                    different start dates end up on the same anniversary date!

                    *
                    * There is a general expectation of addition that subtraction of the
                    * addend from the sum gives the original.
                    *
                    * Arbitrary arithmetic is not be possible using any units. You cannot
                    * add anything to 1997-06-30T23:59:60Z except for 1Y6M and similar. A
                    * small number of seconds would be okay but a large interval could not
                    * extend more than a few months into the future because of
                    * unpredictability of leap seconds. Any other units would produce a
                    * result with 60 in the seconds.

                    [Harry Shipley]
                    I can't see the problem with arithmetic. A date/time, plus a time interval
                    which is unambiguously related back to SI seconds leads to a second
                    date/time (assuming we know what leap seconds are to be added, but anyone in
                    possession of a date/time can modify it appropriately). We know how to
                    write that date time. Just as if we add 17 and 25 we get 42, we don't get
                    "three" in the tens column and "twelve" in the units. Everyone understands
                    how to carry from one column to the next; so we carry days to months or
                    hours to days, etc.

                    *
                    * The only way to do correct interval arithmetic is to use something
                    * like TAI. But that is off topic for ISO 8601.

                    [Harry Shipley]
                    I think is on topic to emphasise that the second is the SI time unit. Every
                    other unit used must be related to the second, and not used on its own. A
                    month is not a fixed time interval, but the varying time between changes of
                    month identifier, which are better identified by that change and not the
                    specification of a time interval.
                    *

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 2 3:08 PM
                      Harry Shipley wrote:

> [...]

                      If that someone is Chinese, (I think) they are considered to be already
                      one year old since counting of birthdays considers the starting point to
                      be the time of conception. (More or less.)

                      The question is further complicated by the fact that you didn't specify
                      the timezone the person was born in. Ignoring leap days, if someone is
                      born on 2002-02-02 in time zone -1200
                      and someone else is born on 2002-02-02 in time zone +1200, were they
                      born on the same day or not?

                      They could be more than 24 hours apart depending on the exact time of
                      day...
                    • John Hynes
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 3 8:51 PM
                        Although we now use a strict ordinal counting of the days of the
                        month, originally the extra day was added to the 24th day of February,
                        i.e. the 24th was counted as two days, followed by the 25th-28th. In
                        Roman backwards counting, this was the sixth day before the kalends of
                        March, and the extra day was called the second-sixth, or "bissextile".
                        Traditionally, feast days of saints in February after this day were
                        celebrated one day later in leap years. So you see, the last day of
                        February remains the last day of February even in leap years. See
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_year#Which_day_is_the_leap_day.3F

                        Of course, few now count days this way, and even the Church has
                        recently started following an ordinal count. And you can celebrate
                        your birthday any day you wish; my brother celebrates his in June,
                        since he was born on Christmas Eve, and that's a sucky time to
                        celebrate a birthday.

                        Besides, nobody else born the several days of February celebrates a
                        day later during leap years; if they were born on the 27th day of
                        February, on any year, they celebrate on the 27th of February on both
                        normal and leap years, even though its the 3rd day of kalends in
                        normal years and the 4th in leap years.

                        John Hynes

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 4 6:30 PM
                          There's a +1300 (+1200 in DST) too. ;-) That timezone problem
                          could be solved by converting both times to UTC.

                          About Chinese (?; I thought Korean was like this), the question of
                          how old someone is can be ambiguous in that respect, if you take that into
                          consideration. Would asking someone's date of birth be as ambiguous?

                          At 2005-02-02 15:08 (UTC-0800), you wrote:
                          >If that someone is Chinese, (I think) they are considered to be already
                          >one year old since counting of birthdays considers the starting point to
                          >be the time of conception. (More or less.)
                          >
                          >The question is further complicated by the fact that you didn't specify
                          >the timezone the person was born in. Ignoring leap days, if someone is
                          >born on 2002-02-02 in time zone -1200
                          >and someone else is born on 2002-02-02 in time zone +1200, were they
                          >born on the same day or not?
                          >
                          >They could be more than 24 hours apart depending on the exact time of
                          >day...
                        • Klaus Schmid
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 5 2:10 AM
                            In a message dated Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:33:25 EST  hjw writes
                            Many reports require the month-end date.  It is easy to do, just advance to the first day of the next month and subtract one day.
                            Agree. Recently I found the following solution for this.

                            Days referred to the begin of month are numbered from 01 to 49. The days 01 to 28  have the usual meaning and must not be normalized,
                            others can be normalized easily, because they are continuously counted into the next month.

                            Days referred to the end of month are numbered from 50 to 99. The day 99 designates always the last day of month, 98 the day before, and so on.
                            In a specific month this can be normalized easily as you mentioned.

                            Actually I used this method to address yearly events like "last Friday in February". A calendar time like 2005-02-93T01:00+02:00 can be converted easily to zulu-time (2005-02-92T23:00Z) within this system.

                             In a message dated  Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:31:28 +0000  Pete Forman writes
                             If someone was born on 2004-02-29 when is their first birthday?  You
                            might say 2005-03-01 or 2005-02-28.  Does that mean that they have the
                            same birthday as someone born on 2004-03-01 or 2004-02-28?
                            Alternatively the yearly birthday could be defined as the last day of February -- or the 60th day of the year. This way the birthdays over some years will be different.

                            There is a general expectation of addition that subtraction of the
                            addend from the sum gives the original.
                            Agree. And the expectation is met if any quantity of calendar minutes is added on a calendar time like 2005-01-02T20:00. If SI-minutes (i.e. a multiple quantity of 60 SI-seconds) are added, information about leap seconds is needed to determine the final calendar time.

                             In a message dated  Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:02:37 -0800 (PST)   John Steele writes
                             But certain combinations using duration DO result in invalid start or end times. Do we just not speak of them (you aren't allowed to use "duration" in those cases) or do we have normalization rules? I think normalization rules make more sense, but some cases, either of two values may seem "reasonable." They can either be agreed by the partners or standardized within the scope of the standard. I think it would be better to have proposed normalization rules in the standard "unless otherwise agreed by the partners."

                            In a message dated  Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:27:43 -0500   NGUYEN Adam writes
                            I wonder what would happen should I set the alarm to go off on every 31st day, or a
                            similar day number within a month. Perhaps it will sound only seven times a
                            year (on the months with 31 days)? If not, I would guess the next logical
                            thing it should do would be to sound on the last day of every month.

                                     Any opinions?
                            An option would be nice to switch the reference from begin of month to end of month.
                            PS: I wonder why ISO 8601 doesn't allow for time zone offsets beyond
                            minute-resolution (eg. YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ss±hh:mm:ss.sss…) (like that
                            historical Netherlands offset having centisecond-resolution).
                            IMHO this rule is very reasonable referring leap seconds, which would otherwise cause much more headache.

                             In a message dated  Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:34:24 -0000  piebaldconsult writes
                             But the presence of leap seconds means that not even days, hours, and
                            minutes are fixed time units, so the portion of the standard you
                            quoted is in error.
                            Probably you mean calendar days, calendar hours and calendar minutes, but it was about
                            SI-days, SI-hours and SI-minutes which have fixed conversion factors to SI-second (24,60,60).

                             In a message dated   Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:05:38 +0100  Harry Shipley writes
[...]

                            Agree with one additional remark: Besides the SI time units as defined by ISO 8601, the calendrical time intervals are useful for some applications.
                            E.g. 2005-02 + 14 calendar months means 2006-04.

                             In a message dated   Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:51:35 -0000  John Hynes writes
                            Of course, few now count days this way, and even the Church has
                            recently started following an ordinal count.  And you can celebrate
                            your birthday any day you wish; my brother celebrates his in June,
                            since he was born on Christmas Eve, and that's a sucky time to
                            celebrate a birthday.
                            Good idea.

                             In a message dated   Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:08:27 -0800   Tex Texin writes
                            The question is further complicated by the fact that you didn't specify
                            the timezone the person was born in. Ignoring leap days, if someone is
                            born on 2002-02-02 in time zone -1200
                            and someone else is born on 2002-02-02 in time zone +1200, were they
                            born on the same day or not?
                            How about leap hours (aka transitition times from DST to Standard)?
                            Babies might be mistaken if they are born in the same location at the same local time.

                             In a message dated  Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:30:57 -0500  NGUYEN Adam writes
                            There's a +1300 (+1200 in DST) too. ;-) That timezone problem
                            could be solved by converting both times to UTC.
                            UTC/GMT +14:00 (Christmas Islands).  from  http://www.worldtimezone.com/utc/utc+1200.html
                            Not sure if there is any DST.
                                     About Chinese (?; I thought Korean was like this), the question of
                            how old someone is can be ambiguous in that respect, if you take that into
                            consideration. Would asking someone's date of birth be as ambiguous?
                            Wouldn't it be more safe to ask for the year of birth, or even month, day, etc., than to ask how old is someone?

                            Probably another aspect yet not covered in this thread:
                            A time interval like 2005/2006 may have a particular meaning, e.g. 12 calendar months, but considered as a representation with reduced precision the duration is uncertain and might be anything between 0 and 24 calendar months.

                            Thanks for all your comments

                            -- Klaus

                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 5 9:59 PM
                              Adam, converting to UTC wouldn't solve the problem since most people
                              would not accept that the day they are born is defined in UTC.

                              Would you move midnite mass, valentine's day and other events to UTC?

                              If you move groundhog's day to UTC some groundhogs will be looking out
                              of their holes in the evening and wont see their shadows.

                              What I think you are suggesting is that we just eliminate time zones.
                              Works fine for me, but most people object to not having traditional
                              times of day for daily events.

                              I was being tongue in cheek with both remarks.

                              That said, as for birthdays, perhaps not, but it would seem if your age
                              is ambiguous than your birthdate must be....

                              ;-)

                              NGUYEN Adam wrote:

                              > There's a +1300 (+1200 in DST) too. ;-) That timezone problem
                              > could be solved by converting both times to UTC.
                              >
                              > About Chinese (?; I thought Korean was like this), the question of
                              > how old someone is can be ambiguous in that respect, if you take that into
                              > consideration. Would asking someone's date of birth be as ambiguous?
                              >
                              > At 2005-02-02 15:08 (UTC-0800), you wrote:
                              > >If that someone is Chinese, (I think) they are considered to be already
                              > >one year old since counting of birthdays considers the starting point to
                              > >be the time of conception. (More or less.)
                              > >
                              > >The question is further complicated by the fact that you didn't specify
                              > >the timezone the person was born in. Ignoring leap days, if someone is
                              > >born on 2002-02-02 in time zone -1200
                              > >and someone else is born on 2002-02-02 in time zone +1200, were they
                              > >born on the same day or not?
                              > >
                              > >They could be more than 24 hours apart depending on the exact time of
                              > >day...
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              Tex Texin cell: +1 781 789 1898 mailto:Tex@...
                              Xen Master http://www.i18nGuy.com