Re: [ISO8601] ISO-8601 3.25 Second, Leap Applications requiring leap seco...

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2005
      In a message dated 1/3/2005 9:46:27 PM Central Standard Time, tex@... writes:

      Leap seconds don't go back 100 years.
      http://hpiers.obspm.fr/eoppc/bul/bulc/TimeSteps.history

      I think you are considering hypotheticals. Reality is there are very few (~32).

      You don't need a from and to date for each leap second, since the to-date is
      simply the next leap second's from date.
      Also, I don't know what the 9 bytes represents. For values that are no earlier
      than 1961 and always occur on the first of the month, they can be encoded much
      more efficiently than that.

      The lookup of a particular date-time to see how many leap seconds are included,
      can be made very fast. It doesn't have to be a search thru the table, it can be
      a binary search, or an indexed search, with the creation of appropriate index
      keys.  (hjw time it, my timings show it to be slow, binary search, radix search, what ever

      he month and year into an index value in your approach.

      Given due consideration, this can be very fast.
      tex
      I quoted you.  However, indexed tables require additional space, almost doubling the space, based on the information I know, operating systems put indexes in separate pages.