885Re: Spring Forward, happy campers

    Apr 3 6:22 AM
      --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, NGUYEN Adam <adam917@s...> wrote:
      >I heard that the Persian calendar is one of the most complex ever,
      > going out-of-sync by one day every so many million years!

      At one level, it is not very complex at all. It is a 365/366 day
      calendar. The first six months have a 31 day length, the next six 30
      in a leap year. The last month is 29 days in non-leap year. The first
      day of the year is the day of the spring equinox IF it occurs before
      noon, Tehran time, otherwise, the next day. This makes it self-
      correcting until the average length of the year decreases to <365
      days. The only cumbersome part is depending on calculating exactly
      the time of the equinox. They use a "best science" approach and all
      known perturbation terms plus leap seconds need to be considered if
      the equinox is close to noon. If it further from noon, simpler
      approximations work.

      These can be calculated some distance ahead. As the calculation is
      cumbersome, people try to fit it with numerical series (the most
      common is a 33 year cycle) but these breakdown over time (somebody
      else has a 2820 year cycle). Here is a link to one approach:
      http://www.projectpluto.com/calendar.htm#jalali

      The fact that it only varies plus or minus one from Gregorian
      (because leap years are intercalated differently) for a LONG time
      says rigid rules work too. We are approaching a point where the
      Gregorian calendar should really switch from a 400 year long cycle to
      a 500 year. If the leap day in 2400 were deferred to 2500, we could
      use that cycle to around the year 8000.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic