876Re: [ISO8601] Spring Forward, happy campers

  • BUDAI Andrew
    Apr 2, 2004

      Sent: 2004 04 03, (Saturday) 07:43
      Subject: [ISO8601] Spring Forward, happy campers

      Several have expressed dislike of DST changes, but it's time, this
      weekend.

      2004-04-04, all countries on the "North American' DST plan switch,
      including the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, Cuba, Mexico, and the United
      States. The transition is generally at 02:00 local, zone-by-zone.
      Cuba and the province of Newfoundland are exceptions at local
      midnight.  Note that Canada, Mexico, and the US each have small areas
      that do not observe DST.

      Last Sunday, the EU, Eastern European countries, Russia, former USSR
      satellites, and Australia (in reverse) all switched. That leaves a
      handful of Middle Eastern nations and another handful of Southern
      Hemisphere nations who have their own unique dates and times.

          All of the above leaves me feel happy that I live in a place where a more common sense prevails.  Taiwan is not trying fix social habits by messing around with the time pieces.

          The Taiwanese are naturally nocturnal species, but they learned to read the clock that is supposed to reflect the science of astronomy and the rotation of the earth.

          They also learned to accept the undisputable fact that noon is when the sun is on its zenith, or midnight is when the sun is on the nadir of the local geography.

          Anyone who chooses to get up late at in the morning can do so without lying about the time of the day.

          I wonder if some wags out there are thinking about changing the movement of the solar system to accommodate human habits.

          B., Andrew

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic