842Re: weekends (was Re: DayLight Savings Time Changes)

  • Sunatori, Go Simon
    Mar 4, 2004
      > [...]
      > Actually, the electronics industry (and a lot of other US industries)
      > are "secretly metric" and translate metric units into English units
      > as required for US market. They buy parts overseas, or they sell the
      > same product overseas, and can't be bothered with English units.
      > (Although you'd be hard pressed to find a computer monitor assembled
      > in the US)

      It could be said that the whole world, including the U.S., went
      "internally metric" when the definition of English and Imperial units
      got linked to the metric system rather than having its own definition.

      A chronology of the SI metric system
      <http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/dates.htm>

      * 1958 | A conference of English-speaking nations agreed to unify their
      standards of length and mass, and define them in terms of metric
      measures. The American yard was shortened and the imperial yard was
      lengthened as a result. The new conversion factors were announced in
      1959 in the Federal Register.

      * 1964 | The National Bureau of Standards (NBS) made the metric system
      its standard "except when the use of these units would obviously impair
      communication or reduce the usefulness of a report."

      > The real problem was trying to figure out office hours when people
      > would be at work, or where it was minimal disruption to a normal work
      > schedule. You still had to know local times, to determine whether a
      > given time was feasible for each office in the call.

      Note the very past tense. The problem of time zone was mostly resolved
      with E-mail, which I first started using in 1983 when it was called
      COCOS (Corporate Communication System) at BNR. As for me, I never
      respected regular office hours anyway, working until 02:00 local time,
      then goofing off somewhere else the next morning, etc. The mainframe
      computer was faster with fewer users, so I was much more productive
      after the regular office hours.

      Simon Sunatori, P.Eng./ing., M.Eng. (Engineering Physics), F.N.A.
      --
      Simon Sunatori <http://WWW.HyperInfo.CA/~GS.Sunatori/>
      65, des Parulines <mailto:GS.Sunatori@...>