839weekends (was Re: DayLight Savings Time Changes)

    Mar 3, 2004
      --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, NGUYEN Adam <adam917@s...> wrote:
      > OK. Makes sense. I heard that the automobile
      industry 'went
      > metric' in the 1980s...
      I worked in the internal Electronics division of a US auto
      manufacturer, although I'm retired now. The company was already
      metric, and had been for a few years when I joined in 1978. My
      previous employer was an electronic instrumentation manufacturer and
      I was on the metrication committee in about 1972, we had completed
      going metric around 1975.

      > What about date/time formats? Is this similar, with the
      > electronics industry internally using year-month-day dates and 24-
      > times and doing the same thing when matketing products in the US?
      > know how numbers are handled? 1000 = 1,000 = 1.000 = 1'000 = 1 000.
      > confusing, unless '1000' or '1'000' was used. Similar problem with
      > exists because whatever languages that , is used as a thousands
      > the . is used as a decimal. In a lot of languages of in Europe,
      this is
      > switched. [...]
      I can't answer for the whole industry. At auto company, most of
      engineering's communication was internal but included departments in
      other countries. We were aware of each other's date conventions, we
      frowned on all numeric dates, and used a month abbreviation, 3
      letter, but the natural date order of the office issuing the memo. We
      learned 24 hour time, and our European offices learned am/pm.
      Probably not an ideal solution, but didn't cause much trouble. One
      exception, engineering drawings were dated in YYYYMMDD format,

      The decimal point/comma never caused much confusion as it seemed
      obvious in context (again awareness). Good metric practice is to use
      prefixes to avoid long numbers. (We taught our 'beancounters' that K
      = 1000, M = one million, regardless of norm in accounting)

      Same position on British/US spelling, both were correct, you were
      expected to use what was natural for your location. However, as a US
      company, we insisted on English for internal correspondence (except
      for purely 'within country' memoes)

      Probably our biggest issue was time zones for conference calls and
      who was on/off daylight savings time. I dealt a lot with a plant in
      Brazil and that drove me nuts, as seasons are reversed.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic