2190RE: [ISO8601] Re: UTC didn't exist before 1961

    May 29, 2009

      Hi,

      You are welcome to do whatever you want of course, but I don’t think this is what was suggested or recommended and I don’t think you should in any way suggest that members of this group endorsed your proposal.

      Personally, I would support using Z going prior to 1972 with the understanding that it refers to GMT.

      Time zones did exist prior to 1972 going back to 1890 for use by trains, and slightly earlier so I would support those as well.

      If I was given a date with a time zone, I would want to record what I was given rather than make a conversion which if I discover later was wrong for that time or locale, I might not be able to correct without knowing the original value.

      Strong rejection policies are a good idea provided your feeds are willing and able to support your model.

      Often, they are not able to conform and tolerance may be necessary.

      Conformance to the standard is a good thing.

      Using the standard in a way that gives you a practical implementation is a better thing.

      Rejecting practical requirements under the guise of conforming to the standard is a bad idea, especially where this standard specifically enables support via mutual agreement.

      tex