      From: ISO8601@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ISO8601@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of hjwoudenberg@...
      Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:03 PM
      To: iso8601@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ISO8601] Are these problems relevant to ISO-8601

       “You wouldn’t believe how much time we wasted in the past doing things like reformatting dates for SQL statements, or converting COLeDateTimes (a cool date/time) to someOtherKindOfDate Time (some other kind of date/time).” Joel Spolsky¾ a founder of FogCreek software, author of the book Joel On Software.  For a programmer to export the December 26, 2006, to an Excel spreadsheet, the date must be converted it to the number 37,066.  Java, C/C++, Microsoft.NET, most programming languages have different numbers and even different versions have a different numbers.  This type of date/time is called incremental data/time.

       the only way to solve these date problems is for the industry to define a standard – not dependent on specific architecture ( 64-bit binary integer or floating point) and is the way dates are used (field based year, month, day, hours etc…, not incremental date/time).  1997 Tony Hampel¾ group manager at Sun Microsystems, An ounce of prevention. InfoWorld Publishing Company 1997.

      The only truly portable encoding is some form of representation of the date, such as "±CCYYMMDDhhmmssfffff f" (field-based date/time).  1999 David R. Tribble¾in the proposal for ISO C and C++ Extended-Range Time Type.  He is also the author of Incompatibilities Between ISO C and ISO C++,and in 2004 ISO C 200X Proposal: Calendar Date Functions, ISO C 200X Proposal: Time-zone Functions and ISO C 200X Proposal: Long Time Type.

       “People are often surprised why this feature cannot be supplied by Microsoft….” (Global any time zone to any time zone conversion). “However, there is agreement that this is a very important feature, and it is under serious consideration for the next release.” MSDN Visual Studio 2005.

      “extendsions to time zone support is one of the most requested features.” Microsoft MSDN Blog, June 2006.

      hjw