2092Re: Standard for non-machine communication akin to ISO-8601

  • datefreak
    Jan 25, 2007
      --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "dmweiten" <dmw@...> wrote:

      > Are you aware of a formal printed standard, international, national,
      > or otherwise, which is written to codify the use of similar format
      > date and time for human-to-human communication?

      I assume we all are: it's standard numerical coding for values of any
      kind.

      Compare:
      Nothing wrong with writing or saying "eighty seven", "sieben und
      achzig", "zeven en tachtig", "quatre vingts sept". But there IS
      something wrong with "translation" of those value to all-numeric 87,
      78, 78, 4207!

      Same comparision for "quarter to three" (almost the same form in most
      languages). "Translation": 15:03?

      Got the clue?
      Any "all numeric" notation of a date is a translation from "common
      date", where the NAME of a month is used, to numerical code.
      As a matter of fact, a month with the name "seven" does'nt exist (or
      that would have to be "september" !!!!). So if we use a "numerical
      coded" representation of date, it HAS TO comply with the standard
      rules for ALL numerical coding.
      Same goes for time.

      Regards,
      Jan Sax