1233Re: meaning of time-interval

  • John Hynes
    Feb 3, 2005
      Although we now use a strict ordinal counting of the days of the
      month, originally the extra day was added to the 24th day of February,
      i.e. the 24th was counted as two days, followed by the 25th-28th. In
      Roman backwards counting, this was the sixth day before the kalends of
      March, and the extra day was called the second-sixth, or "bissextile".
      Traditionally, feast days of saints in February after this day were
      celebrated one day later in leap years. So you see, the last day of
      February remains the last day of February even in leap years. See
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_year#Which_day_is_the_leap_day.3F

      Of course, few now count days this way, and even the Church has
      recently started following an ordinal count. And you can celebrate
      your birthday any day you wish; my brother celebrates his in June,
      since he was born on Christmas Eve, and that's a sucky time to
      celebrate a birthday.

      Besides, nobody else born the several days of February celebrates a
      day later during leap years; if they were born on the 27th day of
      February, on any year, they celebrate on the 27th of February on both
      normal and leap years, even though its the 3rd day of kalends in
      normal years and the 4th in leap years.

      John Hynes

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic