1045Re: [ISO8601] Re: ISO 8601 -- 1000

  • ivy19991231@softhome.net
    Nov 5 7:26 AM
      Within speech, would their be any difference if someone said 'the
      third of January, two thousand', 'two thousand, January three (or third)',
      or 'January (the) third, two thousand'? I certainly don't see any
      difference in interpretation, as in the end, it's the same date that's
      heard. (Although, maybe the day-month-year example sounds best
      grammatically and the year-month-day example sounds best to someone who's
      copying the date or writing it. The month-day-year order, no matter what,
      is illogical because it goes in no order.)

      At 2004-11-05 14:46 (UTC+0000), you wrote:

      >There should be some differences in style of writing and speaking as
      >there are some differences in comprehension. I am not out to
      >defend "American style" dates, but in speech, the month first sets
      >When reading, our eyes can take in a line at a time, jumping ahead or
      >beyind to establish context. As long as the month is text, and the
      >year is four digits, humans can reliably read any date format,
      >computers have problems with multiple parsing rules -- hence ISO.
      >In speech, we can only react to the audio stream as it occurs (plus
      >what we remember). It may not be obvious that a four digit number is
      >going to be a date, as no context is established yet in the audio
      >stream. Naming the month (as opposed to enumerating it) pretty well
      >immediately establishes the context of a date, and the rest is easy
      >to interpret. However, speech could also have a "preamble" that sets
      >the context of expecting a date, I'm not implying this is the only
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic