Welcome to ISB@onelist.com -Reply

  • Stuart Godfrey
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 15, 1999
      Hi, I'm Stuart Godfrey and this is my first message to the ISB mailing list -
      or to any mailing list in fact! I have loved the String Band since first
      hearing "5000 Spirits" way, way back in the 1960s. That album is still my
      favourite (I wrote an article on it for the "Be Glad" magazine a while
      back) and my all-time favourite song remains "First Girl I Loved". A close
      second is the magnificent "Creation" from "Changing Horses", but all ISB
      songs and albums are special to me. The ISB were a great live band, and
      it was wonderful to see Mike and Robin together again at Bloomsbury.
      One (half-remarkable) question: when will "U" be available on CD???
      Stuart
    • Stuart Godfrey
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9 1:11 AM
        Hi Jun,
        welcome to ISB lovers mailing list. I was pleased to see "Cosmic boy" in
        your list of favourites; I think it is often overlooked. I saw the band live in
        1971 and Likki sang Cosmic Boy really beautifully, accompanied by a
        very happy Mike on grand piano. I also like Likki's "Sunday Song" on
        Earthspan..strange surprise, grass being green, on planet earth, galaxy
        thirteen...incidentally you don't have to be on an acid trip to enjoy
        profound experiences (religious or otherwise) while listening to ISB, but
        I'm sure you know that already.
        May the long-time sun shine on you,
        Stuart
      • Stuart Godfrey
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 9 1:26 AM
          I listened to Wee Tam & Big Huge in full the other night (now there is a
          cosmic experience) and vaguely remember a review in the Times when it
          was released. Something about it being "better" than The Beatles white
          double album...the Beatles had tried to produce a masterpiece but the ISB
          had succeeded.
          The popular theory has long been that the white album would have been
          better as a single album, and I guess there have been very few doubles
          which really are worthy of being doubles: Wee Tam & Big Huge is one of
          the few, I suggest, along with Springsteens "The River" and possibly the
          Stones "Exile on Main Street".
          Any more suggestions for worthwhile double albums?
          For no particular reason,
          Stuart
        • Fernando Campos
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 9 3:00 AM
            I think Pink Floyd "The wall", too...
            Is there somebody who can explain me why "5000 spirits..." and "Hangman's..." are 5 stars in the AMG range (allmusic guide - www.allmusic.com) while "Wee Tam..." are only 3?

            On 09/04/99, at 09:26, Stuart Godfrey wrote:

            >From: Stuart Godfrey <stuart.godfrey@...>
            >
            >I listened to Wee Tam & Big Huge in full the other night (now there is a
            >cosmic experience) and vaguely remember a review in the Times when it
            >was released. Something about it being "better" than The Beatles white
            >double album...the Beatles had tried to produce a masterpiece but the ISB
            >had succeeded.
            >The popular theory has long been that the white album would have been
            >better as a single album, and I guess there have been very few doubles
            >which really are worthy of being doubles: Wee Tam & Big Huge is one of
            >the few, I suggest, along with Springsteens "The River" and possibly the
            >Stones "Exile on Main Street".
            >Any more suggestions for worthwhile double albums?
            >For no particular reason,
            >Stuart

            >New hobbies? New curiosities? New enthusiasms?
            >http://www.ONElist.com
            >Sign up for a new e-mail list today!
          • Douglas Gillespie
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 9 4:15 AM
              Hi All
              Just thinking about double albums brought a relic from the early '70s
              ('70/71?) to mind. I lost this double album many years ago and it's
              been a reget of mine ever since.
              It was by a band called (I think) Julian's Treatment and the
              album seemed to be based loosely on Asimov's Foundation trilogy. I
              don't know the album's name (in fact the name might have been
              Julian's Treatment come to think of it - which means I don't know the
              name of the band).
              Does anyone remember it?
              Douglas
            • bryan cederberg
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 9 5:03 AM
                if it was just the acid, ISB would be a long gone memory.

              • Timothy Renner
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 9 4:50 PM
                  worthwhile double albums...

                  Donovan's "A Gift from a Flower to a Garden"
                  Nurse With Wound "Soliloquy for Lilith" (a triple lp actually)
                  The Hammons Family box set

                  sprung immediately to mind...all very different, but very worthwhile.
                  I'm sure there's plenty more. Those were the ones that just came to
                  my head first.

                  Timothy
                  StoneBreath / Mourning Cloak
                  The Spectral Light and Moonshine Firefly Snakeoil Jamboree

                  www.homestead.com/StrangeFamiliars

                  >From: Stuart Godfrey <stuart.godfrey@...>
                  >To: bible_black34@..., ISB@onelist.com
                  >Subject: [ISB] Re: Welcome to ISB@onelist.com -Reply
                  >Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 09:26:15 +0100
                  >
                  >From: Stuart Godfrey <stuart.godfrey@...>
                  >
                  >I listened to Wee Tam & Big Huge in full the other night (now there
                  is a
                  >cosmic experience) and vaguely remember a review in the Times when it
                  >was released. Something about it being "better" than The Beatles
                  white
                  >double album...the Beatles had tried to produce a masterpiece but
                  the ISB
                  >had succeeded.
                  >The popular theory has long been that the white album would have been
                  >better as a single album, and I guess there have been very few
                  doubles
                  >which really are worthy of being doubles: Wee Tam & Big Huge is one
                  of
                  >the few, I suggest, along with Springsteens "The River" and possibly
                  the
                  >Stones "Exile on Main Street".
                  >Any more suggestions for worthwhile double albums?
                  >For no particular reason,
                  >Stuart

                  ---
                  >New hobbies? New curiosities? New enthusiasms?
                  >http://www.ONElist.com
                  >Sign up for a new e-mail list today!

                • S. Stern
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 9 10:48 PM
                    Double albums? How 'bout:

                    - Layla
                    - HMS Donovan (rare album of children's songs)
                    - Wheels of Fire
                    - Electric Ladyland
                    - Tommy
                    - Uncle Meat
                    - Trout Mask Replica

                    Internet!

                  • Fernando Campos
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 10 11:12 AM
                      And what about 4 way street? (C,S,N & Young)
                      Fernando

                      >- HMS Donovan (rare album of children's songs)
                      >- Wheels of Fire
                      >- Electric Ladyland
                      >- Tommy
                      >- Uncle Meat
                      >- Trout Mask Replica
                      >

                      >At 16:50 09/04/99 PDT, you wrote:
                      >>From: "Timothy Renner" <spectrallight@...>
                      >>
                      >>worthwhile double albums...
                      >>
                      >>Donovan's "A Gift from a Flower to a Garden"
                      >>Nurse With Wound "Soliloquy for Lilith" (a triple lp actually)
                      >>The Hammons Family box set
                      >>
                      >>sprung immediately to mind...all very different, but very worthwhile.
                      >>I'm sure there's plenty more. Those were the ones that just came to
                      >>my head first.
                      >>
                      >>Timothy
                      >>StoneBreath / Mourning Cloak
                      >>The Spectral Light and Moonshine Firefly Snakeoil Jamboree
                      >>
                      >>www.homestead.com/StrangeFamiliars
                      >>
                      >>>From: Stuart Godfrey <stuart.godfrey@...>
                      >>>To: bible_black34@..., ISB@onelist.com
                      >>>Subject: [ISB] Re: Welcome to ISB@onelist.com -Reply
                      >>>Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 09:26:15 +0100
                      >>>
                      >>>From: Stuart Godfrey <stuart.godfrey@...>
                      >>>
                      >>>I listened to Wee Tam & Big Huge in full the other night (now there
                      >>is a
                      >>>cosmic experience) and vaguely remember a review in the Times when it
                      >>>was released. Something about it being "better" than The Beatles
                      >>white
                      >>>double album...the Beatles had tried to produce a masterpiece but
                      >>the ISB
                      >>>had succeeded.
                      >>>The popular theory has long been that the white album would have been
                      >>>better as a single album, and I guess there have been very few
                      >>doubles
                      >>>which really are worthy of being doubles: Wee Tam & Big Huge is one
                      >>of
                      >>>the few, I suggest, along with Springsteens "The River" and possibly
                      >>the
                      >>>Stones "Exile on Main Street".
                      >>>Any more suggestions for worthwhile double albums?
                      >>>For no particular reason,
                      >>>Stuart

                      >>---
                      >>>New hobbies? New curiosities? New enthusiasms?
                      >>>http://www.ONElist.com
                      >>>Sign up for a new e-mail list today!
                      >>

                      >>_______________________________________________________________
                      >>Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com

                      >>Did you know that ONElist hosts some of the largest lists on the Internet?
                      >>http://www.ONElist.com
                      >>Our scaleable system is the most reliable free e-mail service on the
                      >Internet!

                      >Looking for the perfect gift for a friend?
                      >http://www.ONElist.com
                      >Tell them about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!
                    • Eric Henry Wynter Best
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 11 12:02 AM
                        Hi all,
                        How about XTC's English Settlement? or Dylan's Blonde on Blonde?
                        Eric.

                        ----------
[...]

                        begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT
                        M>)\^(C('`0:0" `$```````!``$``0>0!@`(````Y 0```````#H``$(@ <`
                        M& ```$E032Y-:6-R;W-O9G0@36%I;"Y.;W1E`#$(`0V ! `"`````@`"``$$
                        MD 8`6 ,```(````4`````P``, 4````+``\.``````(!_P\!````/0``````
                        M``"!*Q^DOJ,0&9UN`-T!#U0"`````$E30D!O;F5L:7-T+F-O;0!33510`$E3
                        M0D!O;F5L:7-T+F-O;0`````>``(P`0````4```!33510`````!X``S !````
                        M$ ```$E30D!O;F5L:7-T+F-O;0`>`!H``0```!0```!215!/4E0N25!-+DY/
                        M5$4N3D12`$ `,@!@I_5.U(.^`0,`! P``````P`%#/____\#`!4,````$ ,`
                        M_@\&````'@`!$ $```!$````3F\@=')A;G-P;W)T('!R;W9I9&5R('=A<R!A
                        M=F%I;&%B;&4@9F]R(&1E;&EV97)Y('1O('1H:7,@<F5C:7!I96YT+@`>``$P
                        M`0```!(````G25-"0&]N96QI<W0N8V]M)P````(!"S !````%0```%--5% Z
                        M25-"0$].14Q)4U0N0T]-``````,``#D``````@$2.@$````]`````````($K
                        M'Z2^HQ 9G6X`W0$/5 (`````25-"0&]N96QI<W0N8V]M`%--5% `25-"0&]N
                        M96QI<W0N8V]M`````!X`$SH!````$@```"=)4T) ;VYE;&ES="YC;VTG````
                        M`@$4.@$````5````4TU44#I)4T) 3TY%3$E35"Y#3TT`````"P! .@$````"
                        M`?8/`0````0````````%#@````,``# &````"P`/#@$````"`?\/`0```#T`
                        M````````@2L?I+ZC$!F=;@#=`0]4`@````!)4T) ;VYE;&ES="YC;VT`4TU4
                        M4 !)4T) ;VYE;&ES="YC;VT`````'@`", $````%````4TU44 `````>``,P
                        M`0```! ```!)4T) ;VYE;&ES="YC;VT`'@`:``$````(````25!-+DY/5$4#
                        M`!4,`0````,`_@\&````'@`!, $````2````)TE30D!O;F5L:7-T+F-O;2<`
                        M```"`0LP`0```!4```!33510.DE30D!/3D5,25-4+D-/30`````#```Y````
                        M``(!%#H!````$ ```-%PFO++@[X1F*!JT^&3J1$+`$ Z`0````(!]@\!````
                        M! ````````8YJ $$@ $`, ```%)%.B!;25-"72!293H@5V5L8V]M92!T;R!)
                        M4T) ;VYE;&ES="YC;VT@+5)E<&QY`(D/`06 `P`.````SP<$``L`$0`"`"<`
                        M```?`0$&``<`& ```$E032Y-:6-R;W-O9G0@36%I;"Y.;W1E`#$(`2" `P`.
                        M````SP<$``L`#@`=`! ````@`0$)@ $`(0```$0Q-S Y048R0T(X,T)%,3$Y
                        M.$$P-D%$,T4Q.3-!.3$Q`#4'`0.0!@!$!@``%0````L`(P```````P`F````
                        M```+`"D```````,`+@```````P`V``````! `#D`T*LK2>F#O@$>`' ``0``
                        M`# ```!213H@6TE30ET@4F4Z(%=E;&-O;64@=&\@25-"0&]N96QI<W0N8V]M
                        M("U297!L>0`"`7$``0```!8````!OH/42/$P1+ \[[\1TKXZ```````````>
                        M`!X,`0````4```!33510`````!X`'PP!````% ```&5B97-T0&UE;&)P8RYO
                        M<F<N874``P`&$#^EJ)$#``<0\0,``!X`"! !````90```$A)04Q,+$A/5T%"
                        M3U546%1#4T5.1TQ)4TA315143$5-14Y4/T]21%E,04Y30DQ/3D1%3TY"3$].
                        M1$4_15))0RTM+2TM+2TM+2U&4D]-.E-454%25$=/1$9215E33510.E-454$`
                        M`````@$)$ $```"(! ``A 0``%<(``!,6D9U;^0>!O\`"@$/`A4"I /D!>L"
                        M@P!0$P-4`@!C: K <V5T[C(&``;#`H,R`\8'$P*#$C,3#V8T#WIH96S1`R!$
                        M;&<"@'T*@ C/Q0G9.Q>?,C4U`H *@8,-L0M@;F<S,#@`4!<+"A+R# %C`$ @
                        M2&F2( = ;"P*A4AO!^"'`: (8 5 6%1#)P0A5QMO#& #($4:H&P$`&CS!E$"
                        M0&QE!X ",!YO'&#D/R %L41Y&H$>/Q]&^D(7,&X-L"(@`Z D1"+ORR'Q"H5%
                        M!1!C+@J%"HL1'_ Q.# "T6DM,3PT- WP#- I(PM9,3;;"J #8'0%D 5 +2M'
                        M"H?7*?L,,"K&1@....*L:S#((&`'1U"L %0$<$< $#4&5Y6U--5%"D.G,P
                        M$RYG,(1 "K '*O ",#&A=BYU:UU_*^\L_09@`C N+R\[+>!IP&1A>2P@.1-P
                        M*L 9`Q$Q.3A ." X.C)F-C,?+/U4;S5?+SMB,FD"8&5?`F `T&LSN#1 :"K@
                        M`, #$"X%H(!M.R!)4T) `B _%C $`#&0/C$XWS0N=6*N:BL!.O\O.UL^@5T'
                        M\#IE0>!7%C ^,220=&]O/GXK,$0@"U!Y)T\H4S,^-BG'%"(,`2UL, P@/,LQ
                        M3S)9/D9\22 ^\@GP3PF 1-)$8"205&%%\";))#!I9QQP=6<DD N ["!F'Y #
                        M('06("(@4!&3!< #`&=H!4 H;AUQ-U!B3W$$(&$*A06@<VUA)Q @97AP!G$)
                        M\&,,92D<H"1P('9A9WL*4$90(!>@!X &T%"!87U4478(D ?@3Y%0$@=D=Y,6
                        M( .@:70*A7=A!"#O%Z @@%= "8 N!@!$H5 07PN 3R =I%:@/,!E6'(BMU2P
                        M`D $D")0`0.15% A7D)7H"!Q5C)6H&4*A62'"& \\1RA8G5M+ES ?U 26L81
                        MP$X1"(%.$RK!9)YU4V!4X0# 3<%R< B0?U[17) %0% 2/H$*A5VR<S]>P%-@
                        M"8!7T0J%6H)P;_YP'Y *P5 1!;!*H!' !"#_)%%/(%2P5G%:,6 $6T-<9-M6
                        M0 A@;$X0$<!V7\$)X?\*A5FT'*!1T6$P6'%<1C>0_U.B38!4`001461F%U/0
                        M!)#M2J!F!]%<!'-6QEA@$;"_5%$<L4J@"L!DT1=!:$J@_&]F635K!41"3H]1
                        MP3[!?VU1"H50$FK!-Y!-@&% 9_]/8$K0:)%CPP/P4! &`#?A+QJ@3<$)\ 0@
                        M(EJ"4FG_:G%:$%.B8I $$#SA2J!0$<\*A3 `/L%S445X`Q DDTY-"W$O\0G1
                        M="(G-D'>;DJ@!&!1D7%E:0(@!""_`A!7$6T"6T%<05P*<R9V_D8%L5$@7G P
                        M,2<08L-L0?YS`B <YC $1GPK2']?@&_?@7^".0J%!\(]L&(\T >0_R(0!\)\
                        M0 404H!6H(0W(+'\:'4`D%= >NA(#1]4*K89*'!N:V7Q`D!P.B^$+W>)H"Y/
                        M3D4^]I](#RKD=39/$ .@=7!Y,_=4\#[0A;$M/>)-DT31-V&^(49_1XX;U8N-
                        M`@$4.@$````0````T7":\LN#OA&8H&K3X9.I$1X`/0`!````!0```%)%.B `
                        `
                        end