Insurance in 1935: Law No. 64 of Dallaleen

  • Wafaa Al-Natheema
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2010
    • Wafaa Al-Natheema
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2010

        Dear Sylvia:

        Thank you so much for your encouraging remarks.

        Like you, I am a learner.  I have been researching the history
        of Arabs, Arab women, medieval Islam, scientists and
        artists (in general) and Iraq since 1986, and so I decided to
        start this group email idea as a modest medium to allow us
        share our knowledge.

        Dear Ellen and Hayfaa: An email about Insurance in 1935, law
        No. 64 was just directly sent to your addresses because you have
        indicated that this group's emails have not been reaching you.  It
        would be great to confirm its receipt by replying to aboutfromiraq@...   Thank you.

        Best Regards,
        Wafaa' Al-Natheema

        From: Wafaa Al-Natheema <historyofiraq@ gmail.com>
        To: IRAQHistory@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Saturday, 31 July, 2010, 20:37

        Dear Amr:

        Minorities or even a ruled majority group tend to speak
        and behave according to the rules, customs of the majority
        or by those in power, often by choice (which is referred to
        culture, heritage) or by force.

        Assyrians spoke Aramaic, which is a Semitic language.
        Obviously when coming to contact with Assyrians and/or
        living amongst them or other Aramaic speakers in power,
        Arabs would speak Aramaic.

        By the way, there is no 'Assyrian language' because the
        spoken language of Assyrians was Aramaic, just like there
        is no 'Chinese language' because the spoken languages
        are either Mandarin or Cantonese and no 'Canadian language' since the spoken languages are either English or French. It is
        accurate to state the 'language of China', 'language of Assyria', 'Assyrians' language', 'language of Canadians', etc...

        As for your other question regarding the ancestors of
        Arabs, I don't think there is a confirmed evidence on
        this matter.  Archaeologists mainly speculated and
        provided several theories.

        In fact one of the well-known theories was that most of
        those who lived in Mesopotamia (Assyrians, Akadians and Babylonians) have originated from Arabia.  According to
        this theory, thousands of years prior to Sumeria, the Arabian Peninsula was green with a considerable body of water.
        When most of it dried, the inhabitants were forced to move
        north to (today's) Iraq and those became the ancestors of the Assyrians, Akkadians and Babylonians.

        In other words, archaeologist s attempted to tackle the matter
        of the ancestors of Mesopotamians, but not necessarily that
        of the Aribi or Arabs!

        Best Regards,
        Wafaa' Al-Natheema

        On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Amr Abyad <amr.abyad@gmail. com> wrote:

        In your great and highly informative article about he history of Arabs in Iraq you wrote:

        "In ancient times, and depending on who was in power and were they lived, Arabs spoke their native language, Arabic, and the languages of the region, Aramaic and Hebrew; all Semitic languages"

        How could that be while the first reference to the term Arab was in some assyrian manuscripts around 700 or 800 B.C. In a different sense who were the ancesotors of those Aribi people?

        Best,

        Amr

        On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:34 PM, W. Ali <WMS_Al@yahoo. com> wrote:

        Dear Wafaa' and the rest of the group,

        Thank you for this very interesting discussion on language and the ancestors of the Arabs.

        I'm sorry, I cannot contribute, but I do read all the exchanges and am certainly learning a lot, particularly because of a long-held fascination of the Middle East region, its rich history, people, the Arabic language and culture.  I feel very privileged to be part of this group!

        Thanks again.

        With best wishes,
        Sylvia

        Thank you, Rita and George, for the correction.

        I happened to read few other articles on the history blog and mistakenly included
        the link for the wrong article.

        I urge those knowledgeable of Iraqi history to provide feedback about the
        article, information, corrections, whatever, and urge those who are not
        knowledgeable of the subject to ask questions:  The more the questions
        the marrier.

        All the best,
        Walaa' Ali

        From: cohen_sharaf@ hotmail.com
        Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:05:07 +0000

        Dear George:

        I was about to send an email announcing not to forward Walaa's email to anyone because she
        included the wrong link for Wafaa's article, and in the middle of this I received your email.  I hope you did
        not read the wrong article sent by Walaa.

        It would be advisable that Walaa sends the same email again with the correct link immediately or people
        will start soon if not have started forwarding it to their lists.

        It is very interesting and informative.

        I too hope that subscribers of this group do the right thing by forwarding the links to the article and fundraising page to people who are
        interested enough to donate.

        Cheers (*_*)
        Rita Cohen-Sharaf

        To: iraqhistory@ yahoogroups. com
        From: georgemichael1956@ hotmail.com
        Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:51:00 -0400

        Dear May and Walaa:

        Thank you both for emailing and resending the email with the proper link.

        I hope this greatly informative article reaches hundreds of people.  Many thanks
        to Wafaa' for writing it.

        I also hope that since Wafaa' is so overwhelmed, late with some of her
        projects and her emails have been seriously censored, that subscribers of the Iraq history group
        forward this email to as many people and/or do the right thing to donate for this unique project.

        The fundraising for the film will end by July 31 and all what is needed is to meet a modest target.

        Best Regards,
        George Michael

        To: IRAQHistory@ yahoogroups. com
        From: WMS_Al@yahoo. com
        Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:30:51 -0700

        Dear May:

        Thank you so much for emailing the article regarding the history of Arabs in IRAQ.

        The link you provided stragely was not clickable, so I decided to visit the main page of the
        Iraq history blog: http://historyofira q.blogspot. com , which is clickable unlike the link
        you provided below. I include here the direct link to the article:

        The link about the fund drive for Wafaa's documentary film was distorted.  So
        I include it here again:

        The information provided in Wafaa's article is fascinating.  I knew of four pre-Islamic
        Arabian queens; Zenobia, Mawiya, Shams and Balqis, but I had not heard of Queen
        Zabiba, Talkhono and Yatie!

        I am simultaneously forwarding this  note with your email below to others on my list.

        Thanks again for helping Wafaa' and for emailing her article and information about her
        film.

        Best Regards,
        Walaa' Ali

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 17, 2010

          Dear Amr & Wafaa:

          Thank you so much for the discussion pertaining the history of Arabs.
          Your article, Wafaa', on Arab history in IRAQ is highly informative. I hope that David Shasha of the Sephardic newsletter would publish and
          distribute it to his list.  I also hope that Arab reputable publications
          would hire you to write more about this highly controversial subject
          that has been severely twisted in English and therefore by other languages.

          I am simultaneously forwarding the note below to hundreds on my
          list.

          Ramadhan Mubarek,
          Richard Sullivan