Arshad Zibary

  • Wafaa Al-Natheema
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2010

      Dear Iraq History Subscribers:

      I hope this note reaches you fine.

      The following two links direct you to parts of an interview
      I videotaped last year with Arshad Zibary, a former Iraqi Kurdish
      politician, while in Amman, Jordan.

      Only one of the clips has a brief information about the Kurdish
      autonomy law of 1970-74, but unfortunately it does not include
      English subtitles.  I will roughly translate what he stated about the
      law below.

      The other link, which has English subtitles, shows him speaking
      about the political party he established in 2007 and its goals.

      In his brief mention about the Autonomy Law, Zibary
      indicated that the official Statement for Kurdish Autonomy was
      made public in March 1970 (exactly 40 years ago this month)
      and later in 1974 the law was passed, but it was rejected by
      the Kurdish leader, Mustafa Al-Barazani because it gave
      autonomy to the Kurdish people!  This part needs further
      examination and more details.  Military fighting errupted in
      1974 between Al-Barazani militia men and Iraqi forces.  He also
      indicated that in 1975 at a Summit in Algeria, the Iraqi and
      Iranian governments met and made deals to stop the rebellion
      of the Kurds and the entire Kurdish cause was put to end.

      Historians and eye-witnesses as well as government and military
      officials who are knowledgeable about this matter are welcome to comment, provide information and better yet provide historic
      documents on the subject matter.  Please help in documenting
      IRAQ's history objectively.

      Here are the short clips:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anZJzdcfFuM [No history - With English Subtitles]

      [Brief History - No Subtitles]

      The Kurdish Autonomy Statement was celebrated for during the
      Nawrooz Kurdish Spring festivities in March 1970.  I personally
      was in attendance with my family and their friends on a mid-year
      short vacation celebrating the colorful festivities.  Iraqis from all
      ethnic backgrounds attended the occasion.  It was the first time
      I see Saddam Hussein in person (not on TV).

      Arshad Zibary's resume (with slight changes) is included in both
      clips and so English speakers can understand it.

      Best Regards,
      Wafaa' Al-Natheema

    • W. Ali
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2010

        Welcome back and thank you, Wafaa', this is wonderful.
        I hope Iraqis will break the silence in 2010.

        Walaa' Ali

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 26, 2010
          This piece is a tremendous and most significant contribution to the general understanding of Iraq's predicament and the Kurdish puzzle. Of course, the "silence" referred to is the usual one of the American people who have been rendered dumb (in both senses of the word) by their ruling castes, their media-entertainment complex and by their own cupidity. It's time for us to construct an Iraqi historical library for reference purposes in cyber-space, available to all and sundry of whatever background or place of residence who are at all interested in doing actual serious research. This gem which you have discovered is a step in the right direction.

          Appreciatively,

          al-Ustadh Husayn Farajullah Zaki Al-Kurdi
          Spokesman,
          Palestine Iraq Committee