RE: [IRAQHistory] College of Medicine and IRAQI Jews

  • Rita C-S
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 8, 2010

      Greetings and best wishes to all members for 2010.

      Thank you, Walaa', for an informative email and for helping Wafaa'.
      I enjoyed watching the clip by Abdul Karim Hani on the college
      of medicine and Jews.  I wish it was longer.

      It would be helpful if some evaluation and/or discussion done about some of the material we exchange.  Why is our group generally quiet?  I don't mean that we discuss every single piece of information we receive, but at least some of them.  I appreciated those early discussions we had in 2006 and 2007, and I hope new members had the chance to view them from the link provided in Walaa's email below.  I also appreciated the time when
      Wafaa', Misbah and Osama worked together to translate valuable information or when Wafaa, Amr and Ellen followed up and provided information about Wikipedia!  These are valuable and fruitful collaborations.  I hope they prosper in 2010.

      Does anyone know how Wafaa' has been feeling or her whereabouts?
      Has anyone spoken with her recently?  I phoned her several times, but couldn't reach her.  I think she needs moral support and I hope we collectively show itI discussed this matter with Richard Sullivan and George Michael and we all feel the same way. Frankly, I am kind of
      worried that Wafaa' lets this History group go.  Perhaps I am being
      selfish!

      If you wish to phone Wafaa' and don't have her number, please contact me, Walaa' or May to get the number.

      Best Wishes,
      Rita Cohen-Sharaf

      To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com
      From: WMS_Al@...
      Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:31:07 -0800
      Subject: RE: [IRAQHistory] College of Medicine and IRAQI Jews

      Dear Subscribers:

      With the help of May Roberts, a clip from an interview by Wafaa' Al-Natheema with Abdul Karim Hani was posted today on the Iraq History blog:

      The interview, in Arabic with English subtitles, focuses on the history of the College of Medicine and Iraqi Jews.

      In a phone conversation with Wafaa' two days ago, Wafaa' expressed that she was generally unhappy with the fact that we need to produce such interviews or publish articles to defend our society's status when in fact it is far better than many of the industrial western societies in terms of its tolerance toward 'the others' and its treatment of minorities.  In other words, we are doing so because we have been put on the defensive, which is unfair and unhealthy, rather than present these talented people and professionals as Iraqis (as we've always done in the past) or for instance evaluate the harsher societies in the west when it comes to 'the others' and put them in their places, so that they won't
      make false claims or accusations as they see fit.

      But if you visit our group's webpage and go back to our discussions in 2006 about Iraqi Jews, you will realize why Wafaa' felt the need to do this brief evaluation of the matter.  A former Iraq History subscriber sent this email: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/IRAQHistor y/message/ 162 , which resulted in our group's discussion for more than three months as you will find here:

      This is aside from the claims made by the Iraqi Jew (living in Israel) Nissim Rejwan in his book "The last Jews of Baghdad" that Jews were not allowed in politics, in the army and other careers or fields, which prompted Wafaa' to debate it in writing and cost her months of her time and energy to write numerous letters to the author, which he ignored.  It also involved other US historians and Iraqi researchers and activists in the discussion who were not from this history group as you may find here: http://historyofira q.blogspot. com/2007_ 02_01_archive. html as well as at Wafaa's previous posts at her personal blog http://zennobia. .blogspot. com

      In addition to publishing the important law in Arabic and English about the renouncing of Iraqi citizenship by Jews, which also was twisted in European/American/ Zionist hisotry writing.  Here is the law passed in 1950: http://historyofira q.blogspot. com/2006_ 12_01_archive. html

      For Arabic speakers only who are interested in Iraq's past and personal accounts, the following clip is from the same interview with Abdul Karim Hani:

      عبد الكريم هاني في حديث شخصي عن الماضي :ا

      http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=9foBDPOvwyo

      Forwarding this email to your lists will be greatly appreciated.

      Best wishes for the holiday season and New Year.

      Walaa' Ali

    • W. Ali
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2010

        You are welcome, Rita.  Thank you so much for your thoughtful
        note and for sharing your feelings regarding Wafaa' and this group.

        Best wishes to you and everyone for 2010.

        Although Wafaa is feeling somewhat better now, she is still
        overwhelmed and stressed, and I fear that she will give up
        this project in 2010.  Wafaa is hoping to attract some historians to join this group and leave it to them for her other film and book projects.  I have known of no one else who spent more than two decades promoting and defending Iraqi, Arab and Islamic (and even non-Islamic)affairs mostly for free and with limited recognition!

        If anyone from this group's subscribers know of historians who are interested in joining this group and participating in research, writing and/or translation, please email us here, and I, Richard or May will inform Wafaa.  Thank you.

        Wishing you a prosperous year,
        Walaa' Ali

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 21, 2010

          Greetings to all and best wishes for 2010.

          Dear Walaa:

          I finally was able to view the material you emailed us, thank you
          so much for providing the links.

          I enjoyed the interview with Dr. Abdul Karim Hani, short and
          informative.  It was a good idea to link the interview with
          our history group's previous discussions.  I liked that.

          I spoke with Wafaa in December, but I don't know what is new
          with her now.   Looking forward for her return to this group..

          Best Regards,
          Umm Zannobiya

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 21, 2010
            Dear May:

            Thank you so much for emailing this interview with Fawzi Habboosh.

            History mixed with music, what a wonderful combination.

            I like the editing of the interview, especially the first cut from music to Habboosh
            narrating his birth and upbringing.

            Kudos, Wafaa

            Umm Zannobiya