"The Other Arabs" Film -- IRAQ's Sabi'a (or Mandaeans)

  • Wafaa' Al-Natheema
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2007
      Greetings to all in this first day of the New Year,

      In the past, few subscribers requested to receive information about the documentary film "The Other Arabs" that I am producing.  About two weeks ago, I mentioned that Naeem Giladi's comment regarding the Zionists' bombing of synagogues in Iraq is included in the documentary "The Other Arabs".

      In late 2005, I put together a 12-minute demonstration clip from part I of "The Other Arabs".  I finally uploaded it to Youtube. You can view it by clicking on the two links below.  Brief information about the documentary film is also included below.

      If you know of knowledgeable candidates from IRAQ's Sabi'a (Mandaean) community that I can interview between January and April of this year, I will greatly appreciate you refer me to them and provide me with their contact information.  It is preferable that the candidates live on the east coast in the USA, in the UK, Jordan, Syria and IRAQ.  But if you know of any who lives elsewhere, still make the recommendation and I will see how I can possibly arrange for the interview.

      PLEASE distribute this note to your list WITH MANY THANKS.

      Best Regards,
      Wafaa' Al-Natheema

      The plan is to produce this documentary in a three-part series; Episode I is to focus on Jewish Arabs, Episode II is to highlight the Sabi'a (also known as Manda'ean or Gnostic) Arabs and Episode III is to feature Druze Arabs.  It is scheduled for release in late 2007.

      Here is a 12-minute demo. clip from part one of the three-series of "The Other Arabs" :

      then watch,

      After the above demo. clip was produced, six additional Iraqi Jews (living in NY, Philadelphia and London), two Palestinians (born and raised in Palestine, currently living in Connecticut) and two non-Jewish Iraqis (living in Jordan) have been interviewed for part I of the series.  The editing style used in the promotional clip does not reflect the editing style intended for the finally edited film.

      The Institute of Near Eastern & African Studies (INEAS) needs to raise $75,000 by May 30, 2007 to cover the editing cost of the three-part series of this unprecedented documentary about a cultural and religious segments of the Arab world that has been unknown or forgotten worldwide (including in the Middle East).  Additionally your help in providing related footage will be greatly appreciated.

      For further information and/or to make a donation, please access http://www.INEAS.org/projects.htm#documentaryfilm or contact INEAS at INEAS_1994@... or at P.O. Box 425125 Cambridge, MA. 02142 USA.  Your donations are tax-deductible.  INEAS is a 501 C 3 independent and educational organization.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • BADeck@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi Wafaa' --
        Happy New Year. Zohra came back from Algeria and was over here last night -- I called to see if you wanted to come over. Anyway............ it is hard not to be disgusted by events. We are thinking of you with love.
        Barbara and Yasin
      • AliAKubba@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
          Dear Wafaa
          Eid Mubarek and Happy New Year
          I am copying this email to Reem Kubba The Iraqi Poet as her husband Sadik is a scholar who studied the mandaen in the hope he can help.

          Regards

          Ali Kubba

[...]

          For further information and/or to make a donation, please access http://www.INEAS. org/projects. htm#documentaryf ilm or contact INEAS at INEAS_1994@yahoo. com or at P.O. Box 425125 Cambridge, MA. 02142 USA.  Your donations are tax-deductible.  INEAS is a 501 C 3 independent and educational organization.
          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com
        • May Roberts
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
            Dear Wafaa':

            I now consider myself a spoiled reader for all this information and fun I am getting by joining this group.

            It began with Hassan mentioning Naeem Giladi's book, then you followed by telling us how you spoke with him and what he said in a very interesting narrative, and now you introduced us to him in your demo. clip.  It was so heart warming to watch and listen to everyone's perspective, what a wonderful crowd you've interviewed.

            You do so many wonderful and unique things and ALWAYS for FREE.  I don't think this is fair.  Originally I thought I would buy Naeem Giladi's book, but due to my limited budget, I have decided to send INEAS a donation for the "The Other Arabs" documentary project.

            By the way, I watched the clip with an Iraqi friend, and he chocked with tears as he was watching the clip and hearing the mention of the Qaymar (thick cream) and the wonderful old songs you've used.

            You are the best in what you do,  thank you so much,

            May Roberts

            Wafaa' Al-Natheema <aboutfromiraq@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Umm Zannobiya
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2007
              I add my voice to yours, May, about Wafaa' being the best at what she does.

              I ordered Naeem Giladi's book last week and will be mailing a check next week to INEAS for this unique project on "The Other Arabs".  I hope that many people and organizations will contribute to this worthy project to enable INEAS to raise the total funds needed.  $75,000 is a small amount for a documentary film of this calibar (in three parts)!

              Arabs (from whatever religious background) have encountered awful times and tragedies since the fall of Baghdad in 1258 CE and the worst ever since the monopolist Europeans (and later Israel and the USA) showed up.  Since the war on Islam (and not on terror) began, Arabs (whatever their religion) have been conspired against by governments of the west and east.

              I have heard of the famous Iraqi Dr. Gourji Rabee who was mentioned by his daughter, Yvette in the clip.  It was wonderful to hear his name mentioned.  The story of Yvette and her family is unique having left Iraq without passing by Israel.  Otherwise, this greatly appreciated and prestigeous doctor would have ended up as a second class citizen doing odd jobs!

              Because of filthy Zionists, Iraqis were deprived from having him and other resourceful Jews in Iraq.  But looking back at that and comparing it with the present murder by the USA-UK-Israel-Iran company of Iraqi Moslem medical doctors and scientists under occupation, forces one to state that at least Dr. Gourji Rabee (may he rest in peace) was able to leave alive and continue working out while united with his family!!

              I loved the criticism made by Ella Shohat at the end of the clip regarding the "sucking up" to white European elites whenever the subject matter or an event is held on the Arab-Israeli conflict.  Indeed most of what we see are white faces telling us about (and writing) our history, evaluating our struggle and offering us unsuitable and often not dignifying solutions.

              Thank you, Wafaa', again and again.  You are an ocean of knowledge and giving.   You do things so elquontly.  I am so proud of you.

              Regards,
              U.Z.

              Wafaa' Al-Natheema <aboutfromiraq@ yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

            • Hassan
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                I have just started reading Ella Shohat´s book "Taboo memories, diasporic voices". The book is a collection of essays and though I am in the beginning, it seems to be excellently written and the analysis is intelligent and clear.

                I recommend it.

                Best
                HZ

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Dear Wafaa:

                  INEAS should announce about and welcome anybody who is interested in organizing a fundraising event anywhere in the USA, Europe, Canada and the Middle East to fund this very important film project.  Fundraising can be in the form of dinner events, poetry readings, music concerts, a theatric play or a conference, selling of certain products, or whatever else that may bring the necessary funds.

                  I hope by sharing this with everyone in this group will provide some ideas and incentives.

                  I also would like to suggest that we use our near future information exchanges within this group about non-Jews in Iraq (as we have been exchanging information about Iraqi Jews for six months).  I am particularly interested in the Sabi'a because there is little to nothing known about them among non-Iraqi Arabs and even amongst Iraqis as well.   Although their religion originated in the Levantine, they now onnly exist in Iraq and Iran.  It will be strongly recommended to invite some Sabi'a historians and researchers to join this group.

                  Thank you,
                  Richard Sullivan

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007
                    Greetings to all,

                    Many thanks to those who responded and gave their feedback regarding the demo. clip and the documentary film project.  It will be wonderful to hear from others from this group.

                    I want to thank you, Ali, for the recommendation and contact information you provided.  I will follow up on it shortly.

                    Welcome to new members; George Michael from Connecticut and Rita Cohen-Sharaf from New York.  Thank you both for your joining the Iraq history group and for your interest in the subject matter.

                    Thank you, Richard, for your suggestion to diversify our subject matter.  I fully agree with you hoping that those members of this group will invite Sabi'a to join this group as I personally don't know of anyone.  Another Iraqi member expressed his interest to diversify our historic information in a private email to me from Amman.  Diversity, not just in the erina of religious communities in IRAQ, but also in the historic subject matters (arts, sciences, architecture, etc.), so for instance the two professors of art history within this group are highly encouraged to participate.  Any form of help to raise funds is welcomed and encouraged.

                    Gratefully,
                    Wafaa' Al-Natheema

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2007

                      I wrote below,  " I fully agree with you hoping that those members of this group will invite Sabi'a to join this group. "   PLEASE omit the term "those" when you read this sentence.
                      At the end of the sentence, I typed "...to join this group," it should have been "..to join."

                      Being a language teacher, it is annoying to see errors especially mine

                      Regards,
                      Wafaa'

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 8, 2007
                        Dear Wafaa:

                        I finally had the chance to view the demo. clip.  Thank you so much for putting together and for envisioning and producing this wonderful documentary film.

                        Arab identity has been distorted for at least a couple of centuries.  Everybody can state their ethnicity and get a way with it except Arabs.  The minute they say they are Arabs or speak of Arab ethnicity or nationality, they get bombarded, discredited and challenged by nearly everyone around them (easterners and westerners alike).  It is like some kind of elergy or fatal hatred.

                        PLEASE consider to include a segment in your documentary film on identifying an Arab with historic examples, as it seems all people on planet earth can say who they are without offering a proof or a definition, EXCEPT Arabs.

                        I cried as I heard Naeem Giladi speak of the atrocities by western Zionist Jews committed in Iraq in the 1950s and still are committing (now) in IRAQ!!   The Zionist Jews, Conservative Christians of the west (USA-UK) and the Shiites of Iran have distroyed IRAQ, killed nearly 700,000 Iraqis since 2003 (including the hanging of Iraq's leader on the first day of Eidul Adh.ha), those rotten savages, and they are still bloodthirsty for more killing in IRAQ and getting away with it without even one consequence to pay.  And they expect us to love or respect them?

                        Thank you, Wafaa, for this wonderful clip.  If Arabs (of all religious backgrounds) will not support this project and make it happen, this is another added reason why they are not worth it.  Non-Arab Iraqis should be supportive of this project as well.

                        I wish you patience, generous funding and oceanic energy until you complete it.

                        Best Regards,
                        Walaa' Ali

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 9, 2007
                          My final line below, "Any form of help to raise funds is welcomed and encouraged, " was meant to respond to Richard's comment.  It should have been separated in a new paragraph.

                          Thank you, Walaa, for your feedback and encouragement.  Non-Arab Iraqis are minorities just like non-Moslem Arabs, so if the matters of minoroties in the region concerns them, they should be interested and supportive.

                          Wafaa'

                          Wafaa' Al-Natheema <aboutfromiraq@...> wrote:
                          Greetings to all,

                          Many thanks to those who responded and gave their feedback regarding the demo. clip and the documentary film project.  It will be wonderful to hear from others from this group.

                          I want to thank you, Ali, for the recommendation and contact information you provided.  I will follow up on it shortly.

                          Welcome to new members; George Michael from Connecticut and Rita Cohen-Sharaf from New York.  Thank you both for joining the Iraq history group and for your interest in the subject matter.

[...]

                          I also would like to suggest that we use our near future information exchanges within this group about non-Jews in Iraq (as we have been exchanging information about Iraqi Jews for six months).  I am particularly interested in the Sabi'a because there is little to nothing known about them among non-Iraqi Arabs and even amongst Iraqis as well.   Although their religion originated in the Levantine, they now only exist in Iraq and Iran.  It will be strongly recommended to invite some Sabi'a historians and researchers to join this group.

                          Thank you,
                          Richard Sullivan

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 11, 2007
                            First, a short message in Arabic to historians in IRAQ and Jordan and then an English message below it.  If you understand both languages, please read the messages in both languages.

                             العزيزات والأعزاء محمود القيسي ‘ عبد الجبار ناجي ‘ مظفر أمين ‘ طارق مجيد ‘ صبى المولى ‘ سهيلة شندي و أنيس القيسي :ا

                            أتمنى أن تصلكم هذه الرسالة وأنتم بخير وبصحة جيدة ‘ فلم أسمع منكم منذ شهر تشرين الثاني .ا ما هي أخباركم وأخباركن في العراق أو خارجها إذا تركتم ؟ لقد لاحظت بأن العنوان البريدي لسهيلة لم يعد يشتغل وبعثت برسالة لكم ولكن بهذا الصدد .ا

                            أكتب أيضا لأستفسر فيما إذا كان لديكم - لديكن معرفة بأي صابئة عراقيين يسكنون في أمريكا و السويد ولندن والعراق والدول العربية المجاورة للعراق أومعرفة بأي باحث أومؤرخ و باحثة أو مؤرخة متخصصة في موضوع الصابئة .ا

                            هناك الكثير مما هو غير واضح أو فيه بعض التناقض فيما يخص الصابئة ليس من ناحية قدم تاريخهم فحسب ‘ بل من جانب القومية أيضا سواء كانوا عربا أم لا .ا

                            أتمنى لكم دوام الصحة والموفقية
                            وفاء النظيمة

                            I want to thank Ali Kubba for providing the contact name and information of a scholar/researcher on Sabi'a in London.  I am ccing her this message.  I also want to thank (non-members) Eyad Kadri and Mona Suleiman for providing names and contact information of Sabi'a.

                            Do you know of anyone who has done extensive research on the subject of Sabi'a and who can provide an answer (or answers) regarding the matter of whether Sab'ia are ethnically Arabs or not?  I greatly appreciate your help in this regard and in forwarding this to as many people.

                            Additionally, I am looking for a long-time Sabi'i (صابئي) family friend by the name of Qais Ibrahim who currently lives in Sweden with his family and who has a son named Sirar and a daughter named Basma.  Do you know him?, Do you have his contact information?

                            Kindest Regards,
                            Wafaa' Al-Natheema
                            IRAQ History Group

                          • Alaa Al-Din Al-Radhi
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 12, 2007
                              Dear Wafa'a and List

                              I would like to introduce you Dr. Anis Al-Rawi , ( CC ed hereby ) one of the good Iraqi intelectualls who have wide vision , studies and researches and published many books already. May be he can help in giving a good solid real info about the Sabia'a people in Iraq..Dr. Anis have  just started his new post as Iraqi Counselor in Iraqi Embassy / Sweeden. So may be he can help also in finding the Iraqi guy that you are looking for in Sweeden

                              Dr. Anis please : Ms. Wafa'a Al-Nathema is our dear faithfull Iraqi friend who is moderating this good Iraq history list with discussions among Iraqi colleagues / friends on certain issues. I would love that you give the list a hand in what being asked ( read below ) please and on future discussions..

                              Ala'a Al-Din J. Kadhem Al-Radhi
                              Jordan - 00 962 796347600
                              ** Member of:
                              ECREA, IAMCR, AKMS, UNDG, ASIS, NDAW, CAT , ACS, BCOC, IIER, DDN, IEDC, IACCI, IBA, IBMU, IICCI, UN-GAID, IBCCI, IFID, OFPS, Arab Advisors Group

[...]

                            • George Michael
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 12, 2007
                                Dear Wafaa:

                                Thank you for welcoming me to this group.

                                Since I joined the Iraq history group last week, I have been reading the
                                group's correspondence for a little over a year and was very impressed by
                                the amount of information that has been shared through it.

                                I applaud your energy, stamina and tirelessness despite the the horrible
                                war, the loss of your father and the not so enthusiastic response or
                                participation by the majority in this group including the historians. Those
                                early newsletters that you produced all through May 2006 were very
                                informative and well produced. Too bad the historian team of
                                writers/editors have not been participating.

                                Did you know that since your trip to Jordan in June (which you've mentioned
                                in one of the old emails), only a total of 14 people (out of 49-50) were
                                exchanging messages through this group? Six of them send only one or two
                                emails to this group (since June). Not to mention the many times you had
                                (and a couple others) to make comments about what kind of material should be
                                exchanged through this group!!! All of this is VERY TIRING, yet you keep
                                doing it with eloquence and don't give up. I would have given up long time
                                ago:):) I give you lots of credits.

                                And yes, just like Richard indicated, the vast majority of the emails since
                                June have been about Iraqi Jews until your recent email on IRAQ's Sabi'a.
                                Providing the 1950 law on Jewish exodus alone is worth a fortune since it is
                                completely unknown in the west, thanks to Zionists. Thanks to those who
                                provided, translated and posted it on the blog.

                                I applaud INEAS for the documentary film project. Kudos to you for the
                                12-minute demo. clip you produced. I and the family enjoyed it tremendously.

                                Now, I come to Richard's comment below about fundraising, and what I am
                                about to say unfortunately will hurt some people. But it is the solid truth
                                and I have experience in this regard. This is not only from my contact with
                                Arab and non-Arab Middle Easterners since my son-in-law is an Arab Moslem,
                                but this since my few years of involvement with INEAS until 2002. The
                                Iraqi, Arab and Moslem communities have been very stingy to their GREAT
                                causes and tragedies, nenvermind funding a movie. So, I doubt that you will
                                be able to raise the funds necessarily needed to produce and release the
                                documentary if you depend on donations by people only!! Now imagine giving
                                money (which is an easy task requiring little to no efforts) has been a
                                problem for the mentioned communities, then what about fundraising, which
                                requires some efforts, in fact it can be challenging sometimes? I hope I
                                will be proven wrong.

                                The history of IRAQ is as distorted as that of Palestine and perhaps the
                                entire region, so your documentary is a necessity, and I hope that members
                                of this group and the larger Iraqi and Middle Eastern communities in exile,
                                which are for the most part financially comfortable, will do all in their
                                power to support this unprecedented documentary project.

                                Kindest Regards and best wishes for 2007
                                George Michael

> [...]
                                >(living in Jordan) have been interviewed for part I of the series. The
                                >editing style used in the promotional clip does not reflect the editing
                                >style intended for the finally edited film.
                                >
                                > The Institute of Near Eastern & African Studies (INEAS) needs to raise
                                >$75,000 by May 30, 2007 to cover the editing cost of the three-part series
                                >of this unprecedented documentary about a cultural and religious segments
                                >of the Arab world that has been unknown or forgotten worldwide (including
                                >in the Middle East). Additionally your help in providing related footage
                                >will be greatly appreciated.
                                >
                                > For further information and/or to make a donation, please access
                                >http://www.INEAS.org/projects.htm#documentaryfilm or contact INEAS at
                                >INEAS_1994@... or at P.O. Box 425125 Cambridge, MA. 02142 USA. Your
                                >donations are tax-deductible. INEAS is a 501 C 3 independent and

                                Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series. �Who will win?
                                http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001
                              • Rita C-S
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 12, 2007
                                  Dear Wafaa:

                                  Thank you for welcoming me to the Iraq history group.

                                  I showed your demo. clip to my husband and to a relative and a couple of
                                  friends. Here is what we would like to do, and I hope this will inspire
                                  others:

                                  We have organized a small dinner gathering for nine of our friends (to be
                                  held on the third weekend this month) and we told them that the purpose of
                                  the evening is not just dinner, but to watch your demo. clip, discuss it and
                                  to raise funds by making a team-donation. Regular dinner gatherings can be
                                  boring. This way we are adding an interesting program to the evening while
                                  helping a wonderful project.

                                  Although I fully understand George Michael's points and criticism, I hope he
                                  will be proven wrong.

                                  With Appreciation and Admiration,
                                  Rita Cohen-Sharaf

> [...]
                                  >(living in Jordan) have been interviewed for part I of the series. The
                                  >editing style used in the promotional clip does not reflect the editing
                                  >style intended for the finally edited film.
                                  >
                                  > The Institute of Near Eastern & African Studies (INEAS) needs to raise
                                  >$75,000 by May 30, 2007 to cover the editing cost of the three-part series
                                  >of this unprecedented documentary about a cultural and religious segments
                                  >of the Arab world that has been unknown or forgotten worldwide (including
                                  >in the Middle East). Additionally your help in providing related footage
                                  >will be greatly appreciated.
                                  >
                                  > For further information and/or to make a donation, please access
                                  >http://www.INEAS.org/projects.htm#documentaryfilm or contact INEAS at
                                  >INEAS_1994@... or at P.O. Box 425125 Cambridge, MA. 02142 USA. Your
                                  >donations are tax-deductible. INEAS is a 501 C 3 independent and

                                  Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live