Re: [IRAQHistory] Iraqi Jews Webpage

  • W. A.
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2006
      Tamara,

      While we are aware of the Jewish presence in Mesopatamia for thousands of years, I found your commentary about the fact that they were there before the Arabs typical and due to lack of knowledge and misinformation. They are Arabs, Tamara.  They are Jewish Arabs who lived in IRAQ for thousands of years, of whom some converted to Christianity and others to Islam later.

      This is a Zionist propaganda about Jews not being Arabs and that they were living in Mesopotamia thousands of years before Arabs, and is very damaging and highly distorting IRAQ's history.

      Nobody forced them to leave.  The law was clear, if they left IRAQ to Israel, they'd lose their property. But no one forced them, they chose to leave IRAQ for their Zionist dreams.  Thousands of Jews stayed in IRAQ with their normal daily lives, education, property and work intact all through the 1970s.  The Zionists used even bombs at their own Synagogues in IRAQ and Egypt (the Lavon Affair) to force the needed Jewish Arabs to flee to Israel so that they would be used as laborers, work in odd jobs and get discriminated against upon their arrival in Israel.  They were even sprayed with DDT upon their arrival in Tel Aviv's airport.  Why don't they ask the horrible and Zionist government of theirs for reparation not only for the properties that they lost, but for the psycological damage and first-class discrimination that they've encountered?

      The fact that they are asking for their used-to-be property in Iraq back NOW forcefully and requesting 10 billions of dollars of reparations is beyond pathetic and unfair. It is in fact a crime.  Then what about the Iraqis who lost their homes because of the USA-UK-Israel Occupation?  Israelis are now nesting in the North of IRAQ thanks to the Kurds and have assassinated hundreds of Iraqi scientists already.  They have been even buying properties (in IRAQ) at no cost or utterly cheap from those who are fleeing their towns or the entire country due to the war.  Actually, the Iraqis who should ask for reparations.  The lives of scientists are invaluable, Tamara.  What about the hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who have been with no homes since the nakba (catastrophe) of 1948 with the creation of Israel? Or all of these people are less important than their majesty the Iraqi Jews who chose to leave more than sixty years ago and now they regret it and won't to get some quick cash from IRAQ!

      Why don't you do your homework better before you send such unnecessary comments?

      Walaa' Ali

      Tamara Quinn <Tamaraquinn5@...> wrote:
      While I am not Jewish, I do respect the history of Iraq and Mesapotamia.  The Jews in Iraq have been there since the Babylonian captivity, and they have been part of the mosaic that is Iraq for centuries.  In fact, the Jews of Iraq existed in Mesapotamia prior to the move of Arabs from the Jazeera to Mesapotamia.  Therefore, I find it disengneous, that some are disturbed by Jewish Iraqis claiming their properties in Iraq like any other of the expats that flooded back to Iraq after 2003 to claim theirs.
      Thank you
      Tamara Q.

      From: VImportant@...
      To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [IRAQHistory] Iraqi Jews Webpage
      Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:38:56 EDT

      I understand your frustration, Walaa'.

      While it is indeed upsetting knwoing that such a group exists and conducting
      awful actions, simultaneously however it is important to read about them and
      be alerted and knowledgeable about their activities.  This will enable you, as
      Iraqi, to protect yourself and know how to deal with the situation.  Luckily,
      they've stopped being secretive and published their activities on the Internet.
      This is perhaps what will make their politically wrong activities not last long.

      Conducting reunions in Baghdad is not awful, but the awful thing is that it is
      taken place during a time when Baghdad has fallen to the occupiers and
      is bleeding.  They have stained their mission and so it will be harshly
      resisted in Iraq and condemned outside of Iraq, don't worry.

      Regards,
      Richard

      In a message dated 6/28/2006 1:25:58 AM Eastern Standard Time, WMS_Al@... writes:
      Dear Wafaa':

      I just visited this website for the Iraqi Jews.

      It seems that it is maintained by Zionist Iraqi Jews who all they care about is celebrating reunion in Baghdad, voting in corrupt elections and working to confiscate their Iraqi properties back (most probably by force) from the time when they left IRAQ in the 1950s.

      Don't you think we, Iraqis, have more than enough problems and enemies that a group like the Zionist Iraqis are the last we need to read and get upset about?  Aren't the USA citizens, British, Ashkenazi Zionists, the CPA (Dutch, Polish, S. Koreans and many others), the militias and mercenaries, the Kurdish Peshmergeh, the Kuwaitis and the Iranians more than enough?

      Walaa' Ali

      Wafaa' Al-Natheema <aboutfromiraq@...> wrote:
      The following link maybe of interest to some of you:

      Regards,
      Wafaa'

      Wafaa' Al-Natheema <aboutfromiraq@...> wrote:
      Thank you so much, Abdul Kareem, for your response and for providing the information about Iraqi Jews in the army.

      Especially precious is the fact that you provided such information from the harsh environment of Iraq where there is crime, robbery and lack or absence of electricity thanks to the occupation!!

      I hope David Shasha (subscriber on this list) will forward your answer to Nissim Rejwan and we receive his commentary on the subject matter.  What happened to Iraqi Jews or how they lived their lives in IRAQ are among the many subjects being distorted in IRAQ's history!

      Regards,
      Wafaa' Al-Natheema

      Abdulkarim Hani <abdulkarimhani@...> wrote:
      Dear Richard.
      I have been discussing the question of Iraqi Jews with
      Wafaa' when I came across your enquiry about the Jews
      being not allowed to own/carry arms in IRAQ. I am old
      enough ( born in 1930 ) to remember conditions in my
      country when Jews lived among us. They comprised about
      1/4 of our class at the medical school, they served in
      the army and some of them were officers. Mr. Rajaa'
      H.HUSNI mentions in his book ( History of the Iraqi
      Army ' in arabic') that there were 6 Jewish officers
      in the Iraqi army. Mr. Chayem Cohen in his book
      (History of the Zionist Movement in Iraq 'in Hebrew' ,
      which was translated to Arabic by the Institute of
      Palestinian Studies ) the names of Jewish officers in
      the Iraqi army, with their ranks.
      The last time Jewish students were admitted to the
      Iraqi Military college was in 1945.
      As for carrying/owning arms- Iraqis in general, and
      there were no laws discriminating against Jews or
      others, were not allowed to carry arms. There were
      licences issued by the police department in special
      cases permitting certain people to own arms. Carrying
      arms was strictly limited and needed another permit –
      one for owning an arm and another for carrying it.
      Jews and others were treated on equal grounds in that
      respect. Of course all this had been changed after
      May 1948.
      Regards,
      Abdulkarim Hani.

      --- Wafaa' Al-Natheema <aboutfromiraq@ yahoo.com>

      .

      Call friends with PC calling -- FREE

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Wafaa' Al-Natheema
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2006
        Thank you, Tamara and Walaa', for the commentary.

        It is extremely important to understand that with very few exceptions (Kurds and Turkmans), Iraqi Jews are near entirely Arabs.  So to state that the Jews lived in Mesopotamia for thousands of years prior to Arabs is highly problematic. They were Arabs by tribe affiliation, language, ethnicity and customs, but they followed Judaism. Arabs did not just exist in Arabia (what is today Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, the UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and Yemen). Tens of Arab tribes lived in what is today Iraq, Syria, Jordan and Egypt from biblical times.  The Qahtanis, Kanaanis, Adnanis and many other Arab tribes were living all over the Middle East long before Islam.  Why don't you read about the ancient Arab history during queen Balqees (in Yemen) and Zenobia (in Laventine: Syria-Jordan)?  You will then realize that Arabs did not only exist in Arabia and their history did not begin with Islam.

        Here is where the Zionist Jews are highly contradicting themselves.  On one hand they believe and document in their religious and history books that Abraham's wife, Hajer, and her-Abraham's son, Ismael, are Arabs.  Yet they give no credit to Arab's existance before Islam!!

        If anyone on this list has the 1949/50 law that was passed by Nouri As-Saeed regarding the Jewish Exodus, it would be greatly appreciated to email to us.  If you have any link providing this law in Arabic and in English, will be ideal.  If in Arabic only, I will translate it.  I don't remember if this law was discussed in Samir's "Forget Baghdad" documentary.

        Thanks for this stimulating discussion, which I hope it will bring us closer to the truth and have others on this list comment on this matter.

        Regards,
        Wafaa' Al-Natheema

        BCC to those who are knowledgeable of the subject and are not part of the IRAQ History group in case they have additional information on the subject matter.  They are welcome to join the IRAQ History group.

        From: VImportant@...
        To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:38:56 EDT

        wrote:

        > You are welcome, Richard.
        >
        > There are two individuals on this group list who
        > can elaborate on your inquery about Iraqi Jews
        > owning arms. I hope they comment and/or provide
        > sources on the subject matter.
        >
        > However, my knowledge was that Iraqi Jews were
        > admitted to the Iraqi army until 1947. In this
        > year, when troubles began to be more noticed in
        > Palestine and an indication for the establishment of
        > a Zionist Jewish home was becoming very strong,
        > Iraqi Jews were banned from joining the Iraqi army.
        >

        > If the paragraph in Nissim Rejwan's book was meant
        > to rule out even the fact that Jews were being
        > trained to bare arms, then that is not true! But if
        > it was meant for civilians not to purchase guns for
        > their own personal use, this maybe true, but I am
        > not hundred percent sure of the laws at that time
        > pertaining the matter of owning/purchasing arms!!
        >
        > I hope others will provide more
        > information/ sources about the subject matter.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Wafaa'
        >

        > VImportant@aol. com wrote:
        > Thank you, Wafaa', for keeping us updated. I
        > agree with Walaa' that
        > you are doing a wonderful job.
        >
        > I am getting the impression that some individuals on
        > this list are not reading
        > the emails coming through this list. PLEASE do not
        > be discouraged. We
        > need you to continue learning about IRAQ's history,
        > which has been sadly
        > distorted.
        >
        > This brings me to the following matter:
        >
        > I have read recently a paragraph in a book by Nissim
        > Rejwan, an Iraqi
        > Jew, indicating that Jews were not allowed to
        > own/carry arms in IRAQ. Can
        > you or anyone on this list elaborate and provide
        > sources on the subject
        > matter? I will greatly appreciate it.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Richard Sullivan
        >
        > Messages in this topic (3) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
        .

        Call friends with PC calling -- FREE

        Do you Yahoo!?

        Why keep checking for Mail? The all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta shows you when there are new messages.

      • Umm Zannobiya
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2006
          very interesting,

          Thank you all.

          Looking forward to receiving the 1949/50 law of Jewish exodus.

          U.Z.

          From: VImportant@...
          To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:38:56 EDT

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1, 2006
            Thank you, Wafaa'

            I have been searching for this important and have-been-distorted law for months, but unable to locate it.  I hope someone will email it to the group.

            Earlier I made a mistake.  I wrote, "Or all of these people are less important than their majesty the Iraqi Jews who chose to leave more than sixty years ago and now they regret it and won't to get some quick cash from IRAQ!"

            I meant to write, "they regret and WANT to get some quick cash...."

            From: VImportant@...
            To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:38:56 EDT

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • huda.ghazi@xtra.co.nz
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 2, 2006
              Dear Wafaa,
              I hope this link maybe of use in this argument.
              Kind regards
              Huda Al-Safwani

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 2, 2006
                Dear all
                Thanks to Huda Al-Safwani for the link she provided with regard the Iraqi Jews, for your convenient I posted it bellow (emphasize and color were added). It is so easy from the information in the link to understand that the Iraqi governments didn't expel the Iraqi Jews but most of them left the country under the pressure of the Zionist organizations which were trying to bring as much population as it can to Palestine even by bombing their places in Iraq. Nevertheless, most of the Iraq Jews left Iraq after a formal registration according to the law of 1950 which allowing Jews to emigrate on condition of relinquishing their Iraqi citizenship. In this case the Iraqi governments have the legal power and rights to frozen and later confiscate all foreigners properties especially if we know that according to Iraqi law (at least in that time) foreigners has no legal rights to have property in Iraq. Thus, there is no any legal ground to compensate any (Iraqi) Jews, on the contrary, according to the United Nations resolutions Israel should pay compensation to Iraq for its aggression on the Iraq (Tammuz) reactor on 1981.
                With best wishes
                Naser Mahmoud

                Iraq

                Main article: History of the Jews in Iraq
                In 1948, there were approximately 150,000 Jews in Iraq. In 2003, there were 100 left, though there are reports that small numbers of Jews are returning in the wake of the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
                In 1941, following Rashid Ali's pro-Axis coup, riots known as the Farhud broke out in Baghdad in which approximately 200 Jews were murdered (some sources put the number higher), and up to 2,000 injured.
                Like most Arab League states, Iraq forbade the emigration of its Jews for a few years after the 1948 war on the grounds that allowing them to go to Israel would strengthen that state. However, intense diplomatic pressure brought about a change of mind. At the same time, increasing government oppression of the Jews fueled by anti-Israeli sentiment, together with public expressions of anti-semitism, created an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty.
                In March 1950, Iraq passed a law of 1 year duration allowing Jews to emigrate on condition of relinquishing their Iraqi citizenship. Iraq apparently believed it would rid itself of those Jews it regarded as the most troublesome, especially the Zionists, but retain the wealthy minority who played an important part in the Iraqi economy. Israel mounted an operation called "Ezra and Nehemiah" to bring as many of the Iraqi Jews as possible to Israel, and sent agents to Iraq to urge the Jews to register for immigration as soon as possible.
                The initial rate of registration accelerated after a bomb injured three Jews at a café. Two months before the expiry of the law, by which time about 85,000 Jews had registered, a bomb at the Masuda Shemtov Synagogue killed 3 or 5 Jews and injured many. The law expired in March 1951 but was later extended after the Iraqi government froze the assets of departing Jews (including those already left). During the next few months, all but a few thousand of the remaining Jews registered for emigration, spurred on by a sequence of bombings that caused few casualties but had great psychological impact. In total about 120,000 Jews left Iraq.
                In May and June of 1951, the arms caches of the Zionist underground in Iraq, which had been supplied from Palestine/Israel since the Farhud of 1942, were discovered. Many Jews were arrested and two Zionist activists, Joseph Basri and Abraham Salih, were tried and hanged for three of the bombings. A secret Israeli inquiry in 1960 reported that most of the witnesses believed that Jews had been responsible for the bombings, but found no evidence that they were ordered by Israel. The issue remains unresolved: Iraqi activists in Israel still regularly charge that Israel used violence to engineer the exodus, while Israeli officials of the time vehemently deny it. According to historian Moshe Gatt, few historians believe that Israel was actually behind the bombing campaign -- based on factors such as records indicating that Israel did not want such a rapid registration rate and that bomb throwing at Jewish targets was common before 1950, making the Istiqlal Party a more likely culprit than the Zionist underground. In any case, the remainder of Iraq's Jews left over the next few decades, and had mostly gone by 1970.

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 2, 2006
                  Dear Huda and Naser:

                  It is wonderful to hear from you both and receive your info. and commentary.

                  I will number my thoughts below, so that I won't forget any point:

                  1. Wikipedia is an excellent on-line encyclopedia, but it has some miscoceptions and errors when it comes to matters related to the Arab and Islamic worlds.

                  2. This brings me to the top statement in the link about how Jews were facing discrimination, harassments and persecution in the Arab world, offering an outrageous generalization and exaggeration!  The Jews in nearly all over the Arab world were not treated with discrimination in any field and I challenge anyone who undermines this reality.  They were neither persecuted in the Arab world just because they were Jews, with the exception of the IRAQ Farhood event in 1941, which was fueled by the Nazi-backed Rashid Ali Al-Ghailany.  So this statement provides a malicious accusation about Arabs in light of and in comparison with how the Christians of industrial west treated Jews: from discrimination to expulsion and persecution (since 1500s) including the 20th-century European holocaust.

                  3. No one who is well knowledgeable of history facts will accept the term 'anti-Semitism' when it comes to Arabs' misconducts.  The term 'anti-Semitism' is native to and invented by Christian Europe to describe their own misconduct toward Jews, not to describe that of Moslems/Christians of the Middle East ESPECIALLY ARABS because the latter are Semites.  How can they be anti-Semites when they are Semites.  This is from a perspective of the terminology usage.  Additionally, Arabs treated and considered the Jews, who lived in the Middle East and North Africa, as Arabs, not to mention that Jews, in these regions, considered themselves,
                  interacted with others and behaved as Arabs.  Therefore, the term 'anti-semitic' is not accepted in this Arab scenario, it describes a western phenomenon.

                  4. There are additional information regarding the bombing of synagogues by Israelis, which is not mentioned in the link below.  It will be mentioned in the documentary film "The Other Arabs", which is scheduled for release in November.

                  5. FINALLY, I am looking for the exact words of the original 1950 law, hopefully the document itself that was passed by the Iraqi government with hopes that the Israelis since 2003 did not confiscate and burn such a document as it has been their conduct since the fall of Baghdad to the occupation in april 2003.  This law has never been quoted 'as is' by Iraqi Jews, other Iraqis and Israelis alike at least in recent writing and documentation.

                  PLEASE help us locate this law.

                  I will be posting our recent discussion about Iraqi Jews on our HistoryofIraq blog and email you the link hoping to hear from others regarding this subject.

                  I also hope that the matter of Iraqi Jews will bring us to discuss and clarify other misconceptions and errors about other minorities within in IRAQ, i.e. the Sabieans.

                  Regards,
                  Wafaa' Al-Natheema

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 2, 2006
                    Dear Tamara,
                    According to the Old Testament, Jews are the grandsons
                    of Abraham. Abraham lived in Ur ( in present Iraq )
                    before emigrating to Canaanite territories. Was he a "
                    Tribe '' ALONE? And was he of different race other
                    than the people around in Ur and elsewhere in
                    Mesopotamia? History tells us that many '' WAVES "
                    emigrated successively from the arab peninsula. Where
                    those ' Tibal Waves'? so we can say that this wave was
                    Arabic and the other was Chaldean for example? How can
                    you say affirmatively that Jews of Iraq existed in
                    Mesopotamia prior to the move of Arabs from the
                    Jazeera to Mesopotamia. Scholars of the Babylonian
                    language find astonishing similarities between that
                    language and Arabic. This should be sufficient proof
                    that those people were the same people whom you think
                    had come to ' Mesopotamia ' after the Jews.

                    ---------------------------------

                    From: VImportant@...
                    To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:38:56 EDT

                    Standard Time, WMS_Al@... writes:
[...]

                    http://www.samba.co.il/iraqijews

                    Regards,
                    Wafaa'

                    –

                    wrote:

                    > You are welcome, Richard.
                    >
                    > There are two individuals on this group list who
                    > can elaborate on your inquery about Iraqi Jews
                    > owning arms. I hope they comment and/or provide
                    > sources on the subject matter.
                    >
                    > However, my knowledge was that Iraqi Jews were
                    > admitted to the Iraqi army until 1947. In this
                    > year, when troubles began to be more noticed in
                    > Palestine and an indication for the establishment of
                    > a Zionist Jewish home was becoming very strong,
                    > Iraqi Jews were banned from joining the Iraqi army.
                    >

                    > If the paragraph in Nissim Rejwan's book was meant
                    > to rule out even the fact that Jews were being
                    > trained to bare arms, then that is not true! But if
                    > it was meant for civilians not to purchase guns for
                    > their own personal use, this maybe true, but I am
                    > not hundred percent sure of the laws at that time
                    > pertaining the matter of owning/purchasing arms!!
                    >
                    > I hope others will provide more
                    > information/sources about the subject matter.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Wafaa'
                    >

                    > VImportant@... wrote:
                    > Thank you, Wafaa', for keeping us updated. I
                    > agree with Walaa' that
                    > you are doing a wonderful job.
                    >
                    > I am getting the impression that some individuals on
                    > this list are not reading
                    > the emails coming through this list. PLEASE do not
                    > be discouraged. We
                    > need you to continue learning about IRAQ's history,
                    > which has been sadly
                    > distorted.
                    >
                    > This brings me to the following matter:
                    >
                    > I have read recently a paragraph in a book by Nissim
                    > Rejwan, an Iraqi
                    > Jew, indicating that Jews were not allowed to
                    > own/carry arms in IRAQ. Can
                    > you or anyone on this list elaborate and provide
                    > sources on the subject
                    > matter? I will greatly appreciate it.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Richard Sullivan
                    >
                    > Messages in this topic (3) Reply (via web post) |
                    Start a new topic

                    Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls |
                    Members | Calendar

                    .

                    protection around
                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    protection around
                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo!
                    Mail Beta.

                    #ygrp-mlmsg{font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}#ygrp-mlmsg
                    table{font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#ygrp-mlmsg select,
                    input, textarea{font:99%
                    arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}#ygrp-mlmsg pre,
                    code{font:115% monospace;}#ygrp-mlmsg
                    *{line-height:1.22em;}#ygrp-text{font-family:Georgia;}#ygrp-text
                    p{margin:0 0 1em
                    0;}#ygrp-tpmsgs{font-family:Arial;clear:both;}#ygrp-vitnav{padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;margin:0;}#ygrp-vitnav
                    a{padding:0 1px;}#ygrp-actbar{clear:both;margin:25px
                    0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}#ygrp-actbar
                    .left{float:left;white-space:nowrap;}.bld{font-weight:bold;}#ygrp-grft{font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px
                    0;}#ygrp-ft{font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px
                    solid #666;padding:5px 0;}#ygrp-mlmsg
                    #logo{padding-bottom:10px;}#ygrp-vital{background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px
                    0 8px 8px;}#ygrp-vital
                    #vithd{font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform:uppercase;}#ygrp-vital
                    ul{padding:0;margin:2px 0;}#ygrp-vital ul
                    li{list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid
                    #e0ecee;}#ygrp-vital ul li
                    .ct{font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-right:.5em;}#ygrp-vital
                    ul li .cat{font-weight:bold;}#ygrp-vital
                    a{text-decoration:none;}#ygrp-vital
                    a:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#ygrp-sponsor
                    #hd{color:#999;font-size:77%;}#ygrp-sponsor
                    #ov{padding:6px
                    13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;}#ygrp-sponsor
                    #ov ul{padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}#ygrp-sponsor #ov
                    li{list-style-type:square;padding:6px
                    0;font-size:77%;}#ygrp-sponsor #ov li
                    a{text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}#ygrp-sponsor
                    #nc{background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0
                    8px;}#ygrp-sponsor .ad{padding:8px 0;}#ygrp-sponsor
                    .ad
                    #hd1{font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;}#ygrp-sponsor
                    .ad a{text-decoration:none;}#ygrp-sponsor .ad
                    a:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#ygrp-sponsor .ad
                    p{margin:0;}o{font-size:0;}.MsoNormal{margin:0 0 0
                    0;}#ygrp-text tt{font-size:120%;}blockquote{margin:0 0
                    0 4px;}.replbq{margin:4;}

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Hassan Zeini
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 2, 2006
                      Dear friends,

                      I am a new comer to this group and my attention was drawn to the issue
                      of Jews vs. Arabs. Tamara seems to have in mind the prevailing belief
                      that Arabs came to Iraq ONLY with Islam and the area was inhabited by
                      other people who were not Arabs.
                      Before we go forward in any discussion, we must I believe agree on the
                      terminologies used so as not be to going around in circles.
                      What do we mean by the following terms: Arabs, Jews, Semites,
                      Israelites, Israelis and Hebrews?

                      I would be grateful if Tamara would answer as to how she understands
                      those terms, after which I can perhaps elaborate on the subject.

                      My regards
                      Hassan

                      --- In IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com, Abdulkarim Hani <abdulkarimhani@...>

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 2, 2006
                        Dear Wafaa'
                        Thank you very much and may god bless you for this
                        enthusiasm.
                        This is a quick addition to your letter. Paragraph 2 :
                        the IRAQ Farhood event in 1941, which was fueled by
                        the Nazi-backed Rashid Ali Al-Ghailany( as you have
                        written ). I was living in Basra when the British
                        invaded the city in April '41. Our house was near the
                        big Bazaar in Ashar and we saw many men coming from
                        the bazaar carrying different articles. That was our
                        first experience of ' FARHOOD '. We went into the
                        bazaar and saw people pillaging shops and big stores.
                        We saw some British military men helping the pillagers
                        force opening secure locks. This ' Farhood ' again was
                        taking place in Baghdad when the British army entered
                        the city at the end of May '41and the escape of the
                        government. Many people said that the incidence was
                        instigated by the apparent joy that the Jews had
                        shown when the Beitish army approached Baghdad. I
                        believed this and believed that ' Farhood ' was
                        against Jews as Jews until many decades later when I
                        heard what happened in New York during power failure
                        some years ago, and especially when I saw what
                        happened in Baghdad on the 9th of April 2003.
                        Interestingly , there were incidents of American
                        military men force opening secure locks to help
                        looters pillage secure stores. There were no JEWS!
                        This looting, and may be the two ' Farhoods ' too,
                        were the 'result' of lawlessness following the fall of
                        government.
                        Abdulkarim.

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_exodus_from_Arab_lands#Iraq

                        > I hope this link maybe of use in this argument.
                        > Kind regards
                        > Huda Al-Safwani

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • huda.ghazi@xtra.co.nz
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 4, 2006
                          Dear Wafaa,
                          I did not comment, I only sent a link I thought might help shed a light on the (lost) 1950 law.
                          Huda Al-Safwani

[...]

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        • Abdulkarim Hani
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 4, 2006
                            Dear Wafaa'
                            Here is the required Law. Unfortunately I couldn't get
                            the english text. I will try to find it.
                            Please note that this law was issued when Tawfiq
                            AlSuwaidi was the prime minister. The law confiscating
                            the properties of departing jews was issued months
                            later when Nuri Assaid was PM.
                            Abdulkarim.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Abdulkarim Hani

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 5, 2006
                                Dear Abdulkarim,

                                Thank you for the document.
                                I have cropped it and converted it into pdf format to
                                make it lighter and easier to use.

                                regards
                                HZ

                                --- Abdulkarim Hani <abdulkarimhani@...> wrote:

                                > Dear Wafaa'
                                > Here is the required Law. Unfortunately I couldn't
                                > get
                                > the english text. I will try to find it.
                                > Please note that this law was issued when Tawfiq
                                > AlSuwaidi was the prime minister. The law
                                > confiscating
                                > the properties of departing jews was issued months
                                > later when Nuri Assaid was PM.
                                > Abdulkarim.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Wafaa' Al-Natheema
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 8, 2006
                                  Dear Abdul Kareem and Hassan:

                                  Thank you both for providing and formatting the 1950 law regarding the status of Iraqi Jews in IRAQ.

                                  It has never been quoted well by Iraqi Jews and most of those who wrote about the subject of Iraqi Jews in the industrial west.  The law clearly indicates that if, and only if the Jews chose to leave to Israel, they will lose their Iraqi citizenship, which is a matter common amongst citizens in majority of the countries (with few exceptions such as in the USA when one can have a dual citizenship), not to mention the fact that Iraqi Jews were leaving to an enemy country that confiscated by means of force and terrorism the Arab land of Palestine!!

                                  I appreciate your, Abdul Kareem, perspective on the Farhood and how it was more of general lawlessness.  Added to this fact that many Jews who had to escape from the few lawless and corrupt individuals during the Farhood incidence, they were protected by non-Jewish Iraqi families by hiding in their homes for a day or few days!

                                  I would like to translate the 1950 law to English for our English readers, but because I need to put together the July e-newsletter, I may have to delay this task unless by luck someone finds the translated version.

                                  I have posted ALL the correspondence about this subject on the Iraq History blog including one email that did not come through our group list, which was written by a previous subscriber, Ahmed Bash Ayan.  His email included interesting sources as well as commentary about the sources he provided.

                                  to your list with many thanks,

                                  Cordially,
                                  Wafaa' Al-Natheema

                                  --- Abdulkarim Hani <abdulkarimhani@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                                  > Dear Wafaa'
                                  > Here is the required Law. Unfortunately I couldn't
                                  > get
                                  > the english text. I will try to find it.
                                  > Please note that this law was issued when Tawfiq
                                  > AlSuwaidi was the prime minister. The law
                                  > confiscating
                                  > the properties of departing jews was issued months
                                  > later when Nuri Assaid was PM.
                                  > Abdulkarim.

                                  Do You Yahoo!?
                                  http://mail. yahoo.com