New IRAQ History Blog

  • Wafaa Al-Natheema
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 14 4:05 PM

      Dear All:

      Please note our new and temporary IRAQ History Blog: http://iraqshistory.blogspot.com

      To keep the old address historyofiraq.blogspot.com, I first have
      to delete it and then start a new blog with the same name, but
      the new format of this http://iraqshistory.blogspot.com.

      Your feedback regarding the new blog will be appreciated.

      Please remove my gmail personal address aboutfromiraq@...
      from your list.  I will not be maintaining my personal emails all through June. Thank you.

      Best Regards,
      Wafaa' Al-Natheema

    • naji haraj
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 14 4:20 PM
        Dear Wafaa'

        Thank you, I don't know whether this is final, it seems the old one better organized!
        rgds
        Naji

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 14 6:25 PM
          Dear Wafaa, Thank you wishing You the best of luck, with my best regards
                                                                                                       Kanan thabet

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 14 7:56 PM

            Dear Wafaa:

            I loved the new blog, thank you: Wider dimentions, better colors,
            bigger fonts and colorful images.

            There is one setback with having a new blog is that people
            will no longer access the old links/old blog.

            Thanks again,
            Walaa' Ali

            To keep the old address historyofiraq.blogspot.com, I first have
            to delete it and then start a new blog with the same name, but
            the new format of this http://iraqshistory.blogspot.com.

            Your feedback regarding the new blog will be appreciated.

            Please remove my gmail personal address aboutfromiraq@...
            from your list.  I will not be maintaining my personal emails all through June. Thank you.

            Best Regards,
            Wafaa' Al-Natheema

          • Sylvia Fernandes-DeMelo
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 15 3:35 AM
              Dear Wafaa',

              I hope that you are well.

              Thank you for this message and the link to the new blog - it is very attractive!

              Thank you, too, for all your efforts - and the efforts of members of this group - to keep all of us informed about the history of Iraq.  I particularly like the title of this very informative article, "This is what the dictatorship built  and this is what the new democracy of Iraq destroyed".  Thank you, Misbah, for this particular translation.   The world was led to believe that "nothing was happening in Iraq apart from Iraqis being killed by the 'dictator'", and despite its rich and colourful history ...  It's crucial that true records about Iraq are maintained, for us now and for posterity.

              Thank you, once again - I am privileged to be part of this group.

              With warm wishes,
              Sylvia

              "There is a higher court than courts of justice, and that is the court of Conscience.  It supersedes all other courts."  MAHATMA GANDHI

              peace dove"Mas vale morir de pie que vivir de rodillas." -

              ERNESTO "CHE" GUEVARA

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 15 8:42 AM
                Dear Mrs.Wafaa'

                I hope that you are well.
                Thank you for this message and the link.
                And to keep us informed about the history of Iraq

                ghada nazanda

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 15 9:05 AM

                   Dear Wafaa;
                  Greeting
                  Thank you for this message. The blog is very attractive.
                  Thank you for links on the events in Basrah. I thinl that I will write something on that events.
                  Regards
                  Jawad Al-Diwan

                  To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 15 10:49 AM
                    Dear Wafaa:

                    My hotmail system delivered Naji's comment before your original email announcement by few minutes!

                    I fully agree with Walaa's evaluation of the new blog and liked the adjective used by Sylvia, 'very
                    attractive' indeed.  Anyway, I disliked the pink background of the old blog.

                    I liked the Internet updates you included in the new blog; the buttons for Twitter, Facebook
                    and others to make it easier for people to forward or link to it, the visitor counter and especially
                    the images from IRAQ's history.  I also liked the list of informative links and the
                    'most popular' posts, the latter helped me view Abdul Karim Hani's interesting video
                    clip a second time on the history of the College of Medicine.

                    I wish Iraq's youth are introduced and encouraged to read this history blog regularly and to
                    discuss its content to enable them appreciate their rich history and culture since the
                    curriculum of Iraqi school after the occupation is no longer representative of Iraq's
                    history.  It has been designed to tell several lies about the past similar to those created
                    since 2001 to initiate war against Iraq. There is enough material right now on this history blog
                    for a couple of years worth of history reading assignments for school kids, not to mention that
                    reading and discussing these articles improve not only their history knowledge, but their Arabic
                    and English languages as well, which can also be enhanced by asking them to translate some
                    of these articles to Arabic.

                    I encourage subscribers, especially Iraqis and Arabs, to distribute this blog among teachers and
                    students in middle and high schools in Iraq (and other Arab countries) and create a campaign
                    similar to the current facebook-revolution campaign to help them learn the fun way
                    In fact this campaign is more useful and long lasting than the currently turbulent and
                    tampered-with-revolution campaign.  Let there be a teaching campaign on facebook and
                    twitter rather than that of revolts.  At least Iraqi (and Arab) youth will be more aware of issues
                    to enable them not to fall in the seduction and propaganda trap by our capitalists and colonialists.

                    Please initiate such a campaign before Obama shuts down the Internet, and then we end up
                    saying, "I wish I did this", "I wish we initiated that", etc..  Perhaps one of the reasons for creating
                    and funding Wikileaks is to provide justification for Internet shutdown!

                    Are there any of the facebook-revolution youth subscribed to this history group to start the initiative
                    on Internet for history learning campaign?  Use Internet technology, songs, video clips, cartoon,
                    and everything that makes the learning experience interesting.  I know that you have been looking
                    for cartoonists, Wafaa', and I hope that you find few in Arab countries soon.

                    Thanks are not enough to express our gratitude for all that you do, Wafaa.

                    Keep up the intelligent work,

                    Rita Cohen-Sharaf

                    To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 16 3:19 PM

                      Thank you, all, so much for your prompt feedback, suggestions and encouraging remarks.

                      I also want to thank those of you who distibuted the blog to your
                      list knowing there are nearly 100 viewers in less than 24 hours.

                      I finally completed the new blog: http://iraqshistory.blogspot.com

                      I hope that you find it more organized and benefit from its information, which is published since 2005.

                      Shortly, I will post a unique article written by Misbah Kamal on Insurance in IRAQ during the Ottoman era.  So stay tuned.

                      I look forward to receiving the feedback from others.

                      Best Regards,
                      Wafaa' Al-Natheema

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 16 11:01 PM

                        Dear Wafaa

                        I congratulate you on redesigning the History of IRAQ blog.  It is attractive, well laid and the text is easy to read.  I can appreciate the hard work that has gone into the process.  I do hope that your hard work will be rewrded by more contribution of studies on Iraq's history.  To date, History of IRAQ remains a unique project and for that reason it desrves the suppoert of memebers of the group as well as professional historians.  Perhaps the new design will attarct more readers.

                        Best wishes.

                        Misbah Kamal

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 17 9:04 PM
                          Congratulations!

                          The new blog is awsome.  I appreciate your efforts, Wafaa.

                          I liked Rita's suggestion about teaching history to school kids through Internet.

                          Where are the Internet Savvy youth to help start such a wonderful project?

                          Keep up the wonderful work,
                          George Michael

                          To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 22 9:00 AM
                            Dear Rita:

                            Excellent suggestion indeed; creating a history teaching campaign on facebook.  I hope someone or a group takes the initiative and
                            start rolling the ball.

                            The youth are more knowledgeable with the Internet than us, so
                            let's keep it in mind.

                            Dear Wafaa:

                            I liked that you now sign your name with both blogs (old and new) and direct the viewers from the old to the new blog.

                            Your announcement about the June deadline to delete the old blog is good, but maybe insufficient time for people to recognize the change and update their website/data with the new link!  Perhaps extending the deadline to September or December is better!

                            Best Regards,
                            Walaa' Ali

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 30, 2011
                              Wafaa',

                              Sorry it has taken me so long to view the new blog. It is very professional, highly informative, effective and powerful. I will forward it to members of my e-mail list.

                              Thank you for all your efforts to educate the public and fill a giant vacuum in public information.

                              Regards,

                              Ellen Wasfi

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 2, 2011

                                From: W. Ali <WMS_Al@...>
                                To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 12:00 PM

                                Greetings:

                                First, I acknowledge Ellen's recent email about the new blog.
                                Thank you for confirming its receipt and the encouraging remark.

                                Second, I want to make sure that Tareq is now receiving emails
                                to your hotmail address.  Recently an email sent from the Institute's
                                AOL address bounced back from your hotmail address.  So I hope
                                that you, Tareq, confirm receipt of this historygroup email.
                                Thank you.

                                Third, I also added Ismael's dr address upon his request hoping
                                that you receive this email and confirm it.  Thank you.

                                Fourth, I am following up on Walaa' Ali's remark below.

                                Dear Walaa:

                                Your comment about deleting the old history blog on June 1st
                                was well-taken, but it seems that I did not comment on it.

                                The old history blog's screen ID is a gmail address I am so
                                eager to delete, which is the same ID for my own personal
                                blog.  I have been inquiring about the subject from bloggers
                                to see if there is a way to change the screen ID without
                                needing to redesign my personal blog the way I did with the
                                history blog. I hope that subscribers in this group have some
                                expertise to answer this question or better offer a solution.

                                Those who posted articles/links from the old history blog on
                                their websites/blogs, should replace them with the new links
                                from the new blog. Please do so by May 31 since the old blog
                                will be deleted on June 1st.  Thank you.

                                Best Regards,
                                Wafaa' Al-Natheema

                                Message 15 of 21 , May 3, 2011
                                  Thank you Wafaa, I am grateful for the update
                                  Jawad

                                  To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 30, 2011

                                    Dear All:

                                    This is a follow up on the last email I sent your way on May 3
                                    (see below).

                                    Below are personal notes to AmrBarbara, Hayfaa, Husayn, Ismail, Jawad, Misbah, Syliva and Tareq

                                    To Tareq: In April I indeed added your hotmail address to this group, but did not receive your confirmation of the email below.  Today, I added your yahoo address, so I hope you receive this note and confirm its receipt.  Thank you. Our recent phone conversation reminded me of the above matters.

                                    To Hayfaa and Sylvia:  It was nice to have recently phone chatted.  I look forward to the emails you, Sylvia, promised
                                    to send.

                                    To Barbara: I just found out that I do not have your telephone
                                    number, which is strange because I always ask subscribers to
                                    provide their tel number.  You may have provided it when you joined few years ago, but I failed to record it.  Please provide
                                    it with the best times to reach you at my personal emails below.

                                    To Amr: I have not heard from you in a long time. How have
                                    you and your family been since the government change?  I hope
                                    that this group's emails are reaching you.  Shortly I will forward
                                    to you an interesting article about the industrial west visa-vi
                                    Egypt and Iraq, an interesting article.

                                    To Husayn:  Thank you so much for your articles, but I no
                                    longer maintain my gmail address aboutfromiraq@...
                                    I stopped using it since December 2010 and despite having an automative announcement requesting to remove it, people continue sending me emails at it. Please remove it from your address book and temporarily use (until September 30)alwafanews@... and this yahoo address aboutfromiraq@... .  I will read the articles and phone
                                    you within two weeks.  I remember in March you mentioned that
                                    you would call me, but did not hear from you.  I hope all is well
                                    with you, your wife and the rest of the family.

                                    To Ismail:  Following our phone conversation in April, I added
                                    your (dr) email address to this group, but did not receive your
                                    confirmation of the note below!  I hope this note will reach you.
                                    Kindly confirm its receipt.  Thank you.

                                    To Jawad:  Thank you for confirming receipt of my note below.

                                    To Misbah: Now that the old blog is deleted, I hope
                                    you have a chance to update the links on your blog that
                                    connect to your articles and translation on the Iraq history blog.  When you update the links - I believe they are three or four -
                                    please forward them to this group, so that we keep
                                    and/or distribute them to others.  Thank you.

                                    Wishing You All a Pleasant Summer
                                    Wafaa' Al-Natheema

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 30, 2011
                                      Dear Wafaa'

                                      It  is good to hear from you.  I will link my new articles and translations, with a historical perspective, to the History of Iraq blog:
                                      http://iraqshistory.blogspot.com/ In February 2011 I completed the writing of a paper in Arabic  on the Nationlisation of Iraq's Insurance Sector in 1964.  So far the paper remains unpublished.  If I have time I may translate it to English.

                                      Best regards.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 1, 2011
                                        Thanks alot Wafaa!