1153Re: to Barbara Re: [IRAQHistory] to Amr, Barbara & Jawad

  • Barbara Al-Bayati
    Jul 27, 2012
      Re: to Barbara Re: [IRAQHistory] to Amr, Barbara & Jawad Dear May,

      Thank you for maintaining my membership in the IRAQHistory group.  Apologies for not responding sooner to your e-mail. Saadoun and I have been in New Mexico tending to the family business and have just driven to California this afternoon.

      Saadoun is a practicing musician rather than a musician, but between the two of us and our Moroccan son-in-law, Yassine Krikeche Tetouani, we can provide perspective on the richness of Iraqi music through the centuries.  Yassine’s father is the Moroccan singer/musician/composer/lyricist Abdelouahed Tetouani. Abdelouahed taught his children of the importance of the transmission of Iraqi music to Spain via Ziryab and then throughout North Africa and the rest of the Arab world.

      In the meantime, on behalf of Saadoun and me, you have our very best wishes,

      Barbara Al-Bayati

      On 7/23/12 10:29 AM, "May Roberts" <filmwriting2004@...> wrote:

      Dear Barbara:
      Thank you so much for your acknowledgment and perspective.

      There is a strange addition to my email below in which I
      wrote "Re-sending the note below. . ."!!  There is a line
      above it that reads, "
      My contributions to Iraqi".  I did not
      type this line!!

      Please note that participation in documenting Iraq's history
      or in evaluating certain era/material is not required or
      expected
      from subscribers especially those who are not Iraqis
      or are exploring and learning about it. But of course
      their inquiries and discussion are welcome if they choose to
      share them.

      What we hope to receive from you and everybody else in
      this group is at least one or two emails per year confirming
      receipt of an email or dropping us a line, which helps
      confirm the validity of his/her email address when
      we
      request them.

      Knowing your interest and your husband's artistic activities,
      it would be wonderful to tackle some of the history of glorious Iraqi/Arabic music, a very good reason putting in mind that
      Arabs have been contributing to the world of music and singing
      since the early Assyrian era and most probably earlier.  Misbah
      Kamal's appreciated efforts in translating the article about the
      glorious Iraqi artist, Uthman Al-Moussully, who was shockingly
      unknown in the Arab world including Iraqis, come to mind.
      However, tackling a subject does not mean only researching, writing, translating and discussing but also by making inquiries
      about it and/or encouraging others to make them interested
      or involved in it.

      I shall not remove your address and leave it up to you to do
      so when you see fit.

      In case you feel the urge to make a comment or check whether
      some of our messages did not come your way, you can easily
      find out by visiting this
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IRAQHistory <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IRAQHistory/logs?cat=subs&start=421>

      Warm Regards,
      May Roberts
      http://iraqshistory.blogspot.com

      From: May Roberts <filmwriting2004@...>
      Subject: [IRAQHistory] Removing Subscribers' Email Addresses
      To: IRAQHistory@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 11:12 AM

      Dear Amr, Barbara and Jawad:
      I hope this note finds you well.

      Please let us know if you are reading this group's emails and
      wish to continue being part of it.

      We have not heard from you, Barbara, for over 1.5 years.

      For nearly a year, we received no emails from you, Jawad,
      hoping that you and your family are all fine in Iraq. Your yahoo
      address is on this list, has it changed?

      As for you, Amr, and since the Egyptian crises, we never received any emails from you.  We understand that this may
      have lessen your interest in this group's subject matter, but we appreciate receiving one or two confirmations per year
      from subscribers
      .

      If you don't wish to respond to this note for whatever
      reason, feel free to remove your address from
      this list by sending an email to
      IRAQHistory-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Otherwise, I will remove your addresses on July 25
      .

      Kind Regards,