Saturday trip details

  • Brian Herriott
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2010
      Hi all,

      I am looking forward to seeing you again this Saturday at the Hummingbird Festival in Lemont, I'm sure it will be a very memorable trip.  Most of the details of the trip can be found on our website under the field trip tab.  There is a link for the Hummingbird Festival pdf which gives detailed directions to Camp Sagawau.

      We are meeting at 7:30am instead of our usual 8am to take advantage of bird activity in the early morning, plus we'll be witnessing some non-hummingbird banding in progress from 7:30 to 9am.  Please meet the group in the main parking lot at 7:30am or a little before.  We'll make our way into the banding area shortly thereafter. If you arrive after 7:30am, please find a volunteer to direct you to the non-hummingbird banding area where you can meet up with the rest of the group.  I've been told that there will be a Migration Game setup that will direct you to the farm house.  From there you can ask someone where Denis DeCoursey is conducting the non-hummingbird banding where we will be until 9am.  At 9am, we'll go to the Hummingbird banding area.   I would recommend getting there as early as possible since parking will be hard to come by later in the morning.

      Bring your binoculars, field guide, and your bird journal/sketchpad.  You'll notice details on birds held in the hand that you can't see in the field, so you artists out there will have an incredible opportunity to see details you might not have noticed before.  Also bring mosquito repellant, something to drink and something to snack on.  Perhaps a cold sandwich for yourself after the trip is done too.  We can't eat on the grounds but perhaps we can have sandwiches in the parking lot after the trip.

      As always, if you have any problems please call me at (773)580-8337 and I can do my best to help out.

      Looking forward to another great ILYB field trip!  See you Saturday at 7:30!

      Cheers,
      Brian Herriott
      ILYB Adult Coordinator