Fall Field trips schedule

  • Brian Herriott
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2010
      Hi all,

      I've been working hard to schedule field trips for the remainder of the year.  There are still missing details that will be updated within the next couple of weeks such as trip leaders, meeting time/place, etc., but I wanted to get  the word out now so that you could put these trips on your calendars.  Here we go!!

      Aug. 28th Hummingbird Festival at Camp Sagawau -  7:30am - 12pm:  Meet early to take part in passerine banding which will be followed by hummingbird banding.  Great day for the whole family and an excellent opportunity to see these little marvels up close and personal as they make their way south for the winter.

      Sept. 18th  Magic Hedge at Montrose Beach - leader and time TBD:  This is one of the Chicago regions best migration hotspots in both spring and fall.  We should see good numbers of migrating passerines on this day and perhaps a rarity or two.  You never know what will show up at the hedge.

      Oct. 16th  Fall Hawk Watch at Illinois Beach State Park North Unit - 8am - 12pm:  There will be live raptors on display as well as wild birds migrating overhead.  Other fun activities will also be planned throughout the day.  There should be good numbers of Sharp-shinned Hawks and Merlins moving overhead if the weather cooperates.  Also good birding throughout the park.

      Nov. 13th  Field Museum - 8am - 12pm:  We'll start by birding the grounds surrounding the museum for late migrants and then look at nearby Lake Michigan for waterfowl.  Then we'll go into the museum for an up close look at their celebrated collection of bird specimens.  Sure to be an amazing trip!

      There is also only ONE permission form that covers all four trips.  Just indicate which trip you'll be attending on the form and send it back to me.  Should make things a bit easier.  Hope you all can make it out for some great birds and great times with ILYB!!

      Cheers,
      Brian Herriott
      ILYB Adult Coordinator
      IOS Board Member