21August 28th Hummingbird Festival

  • Brian Herriott
    Jul 22, 2010
      Hi all,

      Our next ILYB trip is scheduled for August 28th in Lemont, IL at Camp Sagawau for the Hummingbird Festival.  We'll be meeting a bit earlier this time (7:30am) and going until noon.  We'll be able to be a part of bird banding throughout the morning, both for passerine migrants and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.  The hummingbird banding will be done by one of the only licensed banders in our state.  This is going to be a popular trip I think.  I'm hoping that most of you will try and come out for this and perhaps be able to study these amazing birds up close.

      Illinois Audubon, Will County Audubon, and Cook County Forest Preserves are sponsoring this event.  Illinois Audubon is our official sponsor since they are a Partner Member of ILYB.   This is a public event so we won't be the only birders on site.  This will be a great way to show ourselves to other birders and hopefully recruit some more young birders.

      As the location doesn't allow food to be eaten on premises, we won't be having our usual picnic at this trip.  If you are interested in going to a restaurant afterwards for lunch please let me know and I'll try and get group reservations somewhere.  I'm guessing most of you will want to head home after the long morning, but I'll put a lunch trip together if enough are interested.

      I'm also going to put a September trip on the site as soon as I get back from Tahoe.  Permission slips will cover 2, and maybe 3, trips this time.

      Trip details are on the ILYB website (www.illinoisyoungbirders.org).  Hope to see you there!

      Brian Herriott
      ILYB Adult Coordinator