Info about P Plovers at Montrose

  • DEBRA NELSON
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      I contacted the Great Lakes Piping Plover Research and Recovery
      Dept. at the University of Minnesota with information about IBET
      observations of Piping Plovers at Montrose. Here is the information
      they provided to me:

      "Thanks for the heads up! - and no bands. We had at least 3
      broods fledge without being banded this year. A group of 3 birds was
      seen in last 7-10 days on north shore of Lake Michigan. Wonder where
      they are headed for the winter? On an interesting note - these birds
      at
      Montrose seem to be late. Plovers this summer did not stick around
      long, and by second week of July, some had returned to wintering
      grounds
      in FL and GA! Everyone made a beeline south after fledging, including

      most fledglings - some less than a month after fledging."

      Deb Nelson
      Illinois Department of Natural Resources
    • Eric Lundquist
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        Everyone-

        One possibility is that these birds may have come from Canada. They nest
        in the Canadian Prairie Provinces too.

        On those birds know!

        Eric Lundquist
        Mundelein, IL

        --- DEBRA NELSON <DNELSON@...> wrote:

        > I contacted the Great Lakes Piping Plover Research and Recovery
        > Dept. at the University of Minnesota with information about IBET
        > observations of Piping Plovers at Montrose. Here is the information
        > they provided to me:
        >
        > "Thanks for the heads up! - and no bands. We had at least 3
        > broods fledge without being banded this year. A group of 3 birds was
        > seen in last 7-10 days on north shore of Lake Michigan. Wonder where
        > they are headed for the winter? On an interesting note - these birds
        > at
        > Montrose seem to be late. Plovers this summer did not stick around
        > long, and by second week of July, some had returned to wintering
        > grounds
        > in FL and GA! Everyone made a beeline south after fledging, including
        >
        > most fledglings - some less than a month after fledging."
        >
        > Deb Nelson
        > Illinois Department of Natural Resources

        =====
        Eric Lundquist
        Mundelein, IL
        brewbird1@...