Some Springbrook, Dupage County Birds

  • Joe Suchecki
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      On Sunday morning August 1st, there were signs of migration at Springbrook Prairie Forest Preserve in Naperville, DuPage County. I saw two Ruby-throated Hummingbirds ( my wife reported a couple from our yard this week when I was out of town - so time to get those hummingbird feeders out) and there were a relatively large number of Flickers and Robins around. Also, at the retention ponds behind the Costco store at Rte 59 and 75th street there were two Lesser Yellowlegs, a couple Spotted Sandpipers and several Killdeer. The water levels in these long linear ponds are still a little high, but it could be very good for shorebirds if the water levels continue to drop.

      Today was the first time that I was not able to relocate the Clay-colored Sparrows at Springbrook since May. There were at least three pairs at Springbrook this summer with confirmed evidence of nesting from two of these pair. Perhaps they have moved out or just being quiet and preparing for fall migration.

      On Wednesday of this past week, there were still a couple of singing Henslow's Sparrows west of Book Road.

      Joe Suchecki
      Naperville