Grove, 3 golden-wingeds, yellow-throated vireo etc.

  • Suzanne Coleman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12 8:30 PM
      Lots of great birds today.  Too tired to do a long report but wanted to do a brief one for anyone interested in these birds in our area.  Golden-winged pair in back wetland area near end of boardwalk (not the one by the nature center, the other one).  Another golden-winged found by Robert F near the bridge by the gazebo (south path).

      YTVI seen in woods outside of back boardwalk and another (or again) in same area as pair of golden-wingeds.  Watched it BASH a brown caterpillar on the branch over and over.  Yikes...

      Tons of other birds, warblers, red-eyed vireos, Swainson's thrushes galore.

      2 N. Waterthrush found by Robert F as well at front main pond by center.

      Ovenbird by tiny boardwalk on way to long boardwalk (by fencing).

      FOS red-breasted grosbeaks and what seems to be their traveling pal scarlet tanager (male, non-breeding plumage).

      Also FOS yellow-rumped (RF), isn't it too early?

      Besides the above, stunning bird of the day was the fresh and sharp black and white female Hairy Woodpecker, flying like an expert and generally being cool.

      39+species, not bad.  And I missed a bunch of warbler individuals for sure.

      Take it easy,

      Suzanne Coleman
      Glenview, Cook