IOS Carlyle Lake Pelagic, Sept. 14th (no sightings)

  • Keith Mcmullen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2013
      For those of you registered for this Saturday's IOS Field Trip to Carlyle Lake, I wanted to remind you of a few things.

      1. The weather is supposed to be MUCH cooler with Friday night's low expected to be 45 degrees!  Saturday's high is predicted to be 73 degrees. Winds are to be light, which bodes well for our pontoon boat rides on the lake, however, I highly recommend jackets!

      2. Bug spray, water, snacks, hats, binoculars, cameras, spotting scopes and knee boots are recommended. (We'll possibly be off the path and walking in some mud to search for shorebirds!).

      3. We're meeting at 6:30 at the Carlyle McDonald's, located off of IL 127 at the N end of town. Can't miss it.

      4. We'll be birding ALL day. The plan is to have an early lunch (before 11 AM) so we'll have time to search for shorebirds on the E side of the lake before we board the boats at 4 pm.

      5. Many have e-mailed me asking for birding sites en route to Carlyle. Not sure where everyone is coming from, but at this time of year, Chautauqua NWR near Havana is the place to be for shorebirds and ducks. That is not too far off the path for many of you headed S from the Chicago/Rockford Region. Other than that, check out the DeLorme maps and look for ANY State Park in a County between your location and Carlyle and hit the woods!  With the cold front moving in, my guess is many migrant songbirds will be pushed by this wave of cold air!  Should be a very good weekend of birding, beginning with tomorrow!

      6. Lastly, I need to clarify a few things. We will be boarding the pontoon boats from Dam West Marina as ALWAYS!  Not sure how and why folks thought we were renting from Keyesport Marina. Also, the reason we charge for this field trip is two-fold. Because this is such a popular field trip we ALWAYS required folks to "pay-up" as soon as they made their reservation to attend the field trip...."first come, first served" concept. IF you pay, you have a spot. Over the years, we (I) have relaxed that requirement, however, a fee is still required and EVERY IOS member that signs up, pays and attends pays an additional $5 dollar fee that is returned to IOS for the IOS Grants program. For every NON-IOS member that signs up and pays the $50 fee; they have essentially joined the IOS for a full-year, receiving all the benefits the rest of us IOS members receive, including 4 seasonal issues of the Meadowlark. In a nutshell, it costs $25 bucks per person to join this field trip. That fee pays for the pontoon rental and fuel.

      7. I have made reservations with the restaurant located near the Marina that we dined after last year's trip. (It's under new ownership, but the food is still very good!)

      I've received numerous e-mails over the past 10 days of folks still wishing to sign up for the trip and I apologize I'm not able to accommodate that request. The trip was full a month ago and then I had 4 cancellations, but those were gobbled up within an hour (I put out an e-mail on IBET and IBF!).

      Birding news?  The dark-phased PARASITIC JAEGER was present last evening around 6:30 chasing gulls on the E side of the lake near the Coles Creek boat ramp parking lot!!!

      I hope I've answered a few questions, resolved some concerns, clarified some confusion and basically got everyone excited for this Saturday's field trip!

      I look forward to seeing everyone!

      Good birdings!

      Keith McMullen
      Trip Leader