Lake county Big Day 8/31

  • Beau Schaefer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2013
      Hello Birdfans,
      Skip Fotland and I did our August Big Day yesterday. It was quite a learning experience for me in a lot of ways. The birds that are gone now astonished me compared to what I had last week. 1 week makes a huge difference at the end of the summer. I only had 98 species which was well below my goal but the date and some logistical errors on my part were the main problems. In any case, Skip and I had a great time, and, as usual saw some great birds. Highlights:

      Best bird: Probably the AMERICAN BLACK DUCK we found at Rollins Savanna.
      Favorite bird: The killer looks we had of a YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO at IBSP SOUTH just sitting out on a branch and eating caterpillars. Awesome! Also loved the low-flying COMMON NIGHTHAWKS at Daniel Wright FP. and COLSP.
      Favorite spot: IBSP South- for the aforementioned cuckoo and the nice pocket of warblers and flycatchers we had.
      Biggest Surprise: after having NE winds following the cold front, I wasn't expecting many warblers, but we had 11 species, which was cool.
      Monkey-off-my back bird: Finally, a GREAT HORNED OWL that Skip saw at COLSP for our first bird of the day!
      Big misses: Brown Thrasher, Common Grackle, American White Pelican, breeding sparrows, many shorebirds like Least Sandpiper and Semipalmated Plover that I could have found had we gotten to 2 of the shorebird spots we missed.
      2nd biggest surprise: NO BLACKBIRDS. I knew the numbers would be down, but we had 1 female RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, 2 immature BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS, 0 Grackles, 0 Bobolinks, 0 Yellow-headed Blackbirds, and 0 Orchard Orioles.
      Here's the list (ignore the numbers. I entered them separately later):

      lake county big day 2013, Lake, US-IL
      Aug 31, 2013 12:15 AM - 8:15 PM
      Protocol: Traveling
      200.0 mile(s)
      Comments: w/skip
      98 species (+1 other taxa)

      Canada Goose 1
      Mute Swan 1
      Trumpeter Swan 1
      Wood Duck 1
      Gadwall 1
      American Black Duck 1 dark brown, blue speculum w/no white, yellow bill
      Mallard 1
      Blue-winged Teal 1
      Green-winged Teal 1
      Pied-billed Grebe 1
      Double-crested Cormorant 1
      Great Blue Heron 1
      Great Egret 1
      Green Heron 1
      Black-crowned Night-Heron 1
      Turkey Vulture 1
      Osprey 1
      Red-tailed Hawk 1
      Virginia Rail 1
      Sora 1
      Common Gallinule 1
      American Coot 1
      Sandhill Crane 1
      Killdeer 1
      Spotted Sandpiper 1
      Solitary Sandpiper 1
      Greater Yellowlegs 1
      Lesser Yellowlegs 1
      Sanderling 1
      Semipalmated Sandpiper 1
      Pectoral Sandpiper 1
      Ring-billed Gull 1
      Herring Gull 1
      Caspian Tern 1
      Rock Pigeon 1
      Mourning Dove 1
      Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
      Eastern Screech-Owl 1
      Great Horned Owl 1
      Common Nighthawk 1
      Chimney Swift 1
      Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
      Belted Kingfisher 1
      Red-headed Woodpecker 1
      Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
      Downy Woodpecker 1
      Hairy Woodpecker 1
      Northern Flicker 1
      American Kestrel 1
      Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
      Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 1
      Least Flycatcher 1
      Eastern Phoebe 1
      Eastern Kingbird 1
      Yellow-throated Vireo 1
      Warbling Vireo 1
      Red-eyed Vireo 1
      Blue Jay 1
      American Crow 1
      Tree Swallow 1
      Barn Swallow 1
      Black-capped Chickadee 1
      White-breasted Nuthatch 1
      House Wren 1
      Sedge Wren 1
      Marsh Wren 1
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
      Eastern Bluebird 1
      Swainson's Thrush 1
      American Robin 1
      Gray Catbird 1
      European Starling 1
      Cedar Waxwing 1
      Black-and-white Warbler 1
      Tennessee Warbler 1
      Nashville Warbler 1
      Common Yellowthroat 1
      American Redstart 1
      Magnolia Warbler 1
      Yellow Warbler 1
      Blackpoll Warbler 1
      Palm Warbler 1
      Black-throated Green Warbler 1
      Wilson's Warbler 1
      Yellow-breasted Chat 1
      Chipping Sparrow 1
      Field Sparrow 1
      Savannah Sparrow 1
      Song Sparrow 1
      Swamp Sparrow 1
      Northern Cardinal 1
      Indigo Bunting 1
      Red-winged Blackbird 1
      Eastern Meadowlark 1
      Brown-headed Cowbird 1
      Baltimore Oriole 1
      House Finch 1
      American Goldfinch 1
      House Sparrow 1

      View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15065094

      Good Birding!
      Beau Schaefer
      round lake beach, IL
      lake county
      beauschaefer@...

    • Beau Schaefer
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2013
        A couple of addenda from my previous post. #1- All those "I" statements should be "we" statements especially since Skip found most of our good birds and struggled through getting me on them, and #2- we didn't have a Nashville Warbler, so the number on the list is off by 1, which I fixed later.

        Beau Schaefer
        round lake beach, IL
        lake county
        beauschaefer@...