chautauqua 7-31

  • miking38
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2013
      I did not get a chance to post last night. At the Goofy Ridge dike at Chautauqua yesterday afternoon there was a turnover of shorebirds from Saturday. There were far less lesser yellowlegs and far more greater, maybe as much as 50% now and lots more pectorals. Peeps were rare, with only about a dozen semi-palmateds, 1 western and no leasts at all. I saw a handful of spotteds, mostly along the shoreline, 1 Bairds, and no solitary. At the crossdike to the south there was a flock of ten sanderlings on a small island about halfway to the levee and a flock of mostly greater yellowlegs nearer the parking lot along with only 1 stilt among them. The water has dropped quite bit since Saturday too and turkey vultures are common eating the dead carp. There are also a lot of white pelicans, maybe 1500?

      Mike Ingram
      Peoria