Millers Meadows and More Today

  • Susan Warner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2013
      Hi all,

      Today I went to Millers Meadows. The only things that were notable there were Eastern Meadowlarks and a Red-tailed Hawk harassing a group of pigeons (odd because redtails usually don't go for birds).

      On the Prothonotaries---Yes, young were confirmed at the nest site yesterday, from the first brood. One first-year young male was perched near the nest and begging from the father Prothonotary, even though it has probably been out of the nest for awhile.The second brood is still in the nest hole, as far as I know. It turns out this was actually not the first nesting record for Skokie Lagoons---a nest was found last year, also! I have learned so much just because I reported these birds, because everybody has chimed in about them.

      Happy birding!

      Henry (Sue's son)
      Oak Park, Cook County, IL