Shorebirds back at Fermilab and other DuPage wanderings

  • Urs Geiser
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2013
      On Sunday morning, I started at the dog area of Pratt's Wayne Woods
      F.P., still needing a few grassland birds for the DuPage year list. I
      succeeded in hearing ca. 5 HENSLOW'S SPARROWS and 2 SEDGE WRENS there,
      also a few BOBOLINK and EASTERN MEADOWLARKS. An ORCHARD ORIOLE was
      singing in the parking lot. Except for a couple of PIED-BILLED GREBES,
      there was nothing of interest at the yellow barn overlook.

      I also did not find much exciting at nearby Pate Philips St.P. (a church
      picnic with amplified live music did not help).

      More grassland bird were in the DuPage Business Center of West Chicago.
      North of Fabyan I only found SAVANNAH SPARROWS, as most of the fields
      were freshly mowed, but south of Fabyan (near the Pella factory) there
      were also DICKCISSEL, and distant BOBOLINK and GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS. A
      MARSH WREN sang in one of the ponds, and CASPIAN TERNS were flying around.

      Finally, at Fermilab there were 6 species of shorebirds on A.E. Sea,
      most noteworthy two STILT SANDPIPERS. At least they were there until a
      PEREGRINE FALCON swooped in and scattered them all. There were also a
      bunch of CASPIAN TERNS. Along Eola Rd. south of Batavia, a number of
      DICKCISSEL and HENSLOW'S SPARROWS were still singing. Swallows of four
      species were flocking on the fence along the bison pasture and at Dusaf
      Pond, including a surprisingly large number of BANK SWALLOWS.
      --
      Urs Geiser (ugeiser@...)
      Woodridge (DuPage Co., IL)