Re: IBET Yellow-crowned Night-Heron Details and Photos Will County

  • Eric Gyllenhaal
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2012
      As on 6:30 am on Sunday the Yellow-crowned Night-heron was back at the south end of the millrace near the single-lane bridge (just east of the dam). Thanks to Andy Sigler for pointing it out to us.

      Eric, Aaron, and Ethan Gyllenhaal
      Oak Park, Cook Co.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 30, 2012, at 5:21 PM, Jeff Smith <mrqmagoo13@...> wrote:

      > The YCNH was there 1:30 p.m. Saturday. I picked up lunch and ate while
      > looking for the bird with no luck. I then walked across the road to scan
      > the river. I returned to the car to leave when I noticed he was right in
      > front of me where I originally looked. He was perhaps roosting in the trees
      > along the cemetery. Thanks Don, that was my 2nd new Will Co. this week!
      > Earlier I stopped at Lake Renwick to look for the Snowy Egret. The
      > volunteers there had not seen one this year. A rough count came up with 300
      > Great Egrets, 900 DC Cormorants, only 20 Great Blue Herons, and 3
      > Black-crowned Night Herons.
      >
      > Jeff Smith
      > Woodridge, DuPage Co.
      >
      > On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM, rattlinantler <rattlinantler@...>wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> I my haste to get the info out to everyone, I neglect to give detailed
      >> directions to view the YCNH. The Heron was located on the South Island Park
      >> in Wilmington, Illinois. Wilmington is approximately 25 miles south of
      >> Joliet down I-55 and about 3 miles west. Route 53 splits Wilmington from
      >> North and South. The "Island" is a city park along the Kankakee River. If
      >> you enter the park from Rt. 53 (W. Baltimore St.)go south. The heron was
      >> seen near the Dam, but on the Millrace side (East side) At the end of the
      >> Island Park, is a single lane bridge going over the millrace. The heron was
      >> approximately 30 yds to the north of the bridge on the Kankakee River side.
      >> There is only one road on the south island, The millrace is a small canal
      >> around the dam area. Its great for green herons and sandpipers during the
      >> summer. I seen the YCNH just before my son's baseball game. I didn't go
      >> back just before sunset to check, but could see from the ball diamonds on
      >> the island, that there was a canoe paddling down the millrace. I don't know
      >> if he was still there.
      >> When I viewed him, he waded along the near shore, and stopped near a large
      >> downed tree. He would stand on the branches and fish from there.
      >>
      >> He's a link to the photos I took of him this evening:
      >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/rattlinantler/7470014190/
      >>
      >> Any Questions Just email me.
      >> There is a July 4th baseball tournament going on in the Island Park, but
      >> doesn't seem to bother the birds much. I will check again in the morning,
      >> as we have a 9:00 am game there again
      >>
      >> Don Blecha
      >> Coal City/Grundy Co.

    • Don Lopat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2012
        To all:

        The YCNH was still at the mill race around 1:00pm today..........along with
        heavy thunder and rain.
        Great bird.  Thanks for the great directions

        Don Lopat
        Warrenville/DuPage