Birding in McHenry County

  • Michelle Devlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2012
      I decided to do something different today and went up to McHenry with a few target birds in mind- Black Tern and Prothonotary Warbler (which I somehow missed in migration).  Having never been to McHenry County birding (or possibly ever), I did ask a few people for suggestions

      I started at McHenry Dam where I found FOY's Prothonotary Warbler and Yellow-throated Warbler (thanks to Jeff Sanders and the gentleman I ran into on the trail) for help on these.  I saw one American Redstart (M) and there were lots of Common Yellowthroats and Yellow Warblers.  I also heard some Pine Warblers.  There was also one Bald Eagle and 2 Mute Swans with 4 juveniles.

      I then went to Glacial Park Conservation Area.  At the first marsh - I think it is Lost Marsh and all I could make out was a Bald Eagle.  I went to another marsh a little further west (on Al Stokie's recommendation) where I found a Lifer Black Tern.  Other highlights  were also 2 Sandhill Cranes, a Western Meadowlark (quite possible more than one), a Dickcissel and a couple of Bobolinks.

      My bird of the day is definitely the Black Tern (it wasn't until recently that I even realized that they could be found in Illinois).  Second would be the Yellow-Throated Warbler which I saw a few years back at Swallow Cliff but not since.

      Full lists from ebird below if you are interested.

      Michelle Devlin
      Chicago

      Moraine Hills SP--McHenry Dam, McHenry, US-IL
      Jun 1, 2012 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
      Protocol: Traveling
      2.5 mile(s)
      Comments:      <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.4.4
      50 species

      Canada Goose  61
      Mute Swan  6    2 ad 4 juvenile
      Wood Duck  1
      Mallard  11
      Hooded Merganser  1
      Double-crested Cormorant  7
      Great Blue Heron  3
      Great Egret  2
      Turkey Vulture  1
      Bald Eagle  1
      Cooper's Hawk  1
      American Coot  2
      Ring-billed Gull  2
      Herring Gull  1
      Chimney Swift  4
      Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
      Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
      Downy Woodpecker  1
      Northern Flicker  2
      Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
      Alder Flycatcher  1
      Willow Flycatcher  2
      Great Crested Flycatcher  1
      Eastern Kingbird  1
      Warbling Vireo  3
      Red-eyed Vireo  1
      Blue Jay  3
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow  3
      Tree Swallow  25
      Barn Swallow  6
      Black-capped Chickadee  3
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  7
      American Robin  16
      Gray Catbird  1
      Cedar Waxwing  10
      Prothonotary Warbler  1
      Common Yellowthroat  11
      American Redstart  1
      Yellow Warbler  4
      Pine Warbler  1
      Yellow-throated Warbler  1
      Eastern Towhee  1
      Chipping Sparrow  2
      Song Sparrow  13
      Northern Cardinal  3
      Indigo Bunting  3
      Red-winged Blackbird  30
      Common Grackle  4
      Brown-headed Cowbird  1
      American Goldfinch  4

      Glacial Park Conservation Area (McHenry Co.), McHenry, US-IL
      Jun 1, 2012 11:00 AM - 1:10 PM
      Protocol: Traveling
      4.0 mile(s)
      Comments:      <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.4.4
      48 species

      Canada Goose  40
      Mallard  4
      Blue-winged Teal  2
      Hooded Merganser  1
      Pied-billed Grebe  9
      Great Blue Heron  1
      Great Egret  1
      Green Heron  1
      Bald Eagle  1
      American Kestrel  1
      Sandhill Crane  2
      Killdeer  7
      Black Tern (North American)  1    Head and chest black. Wings and back gray.
      Rock Pigeon  3
      Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
      Northern Flicker  1
      Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
      Willow Flycatcher  1
      Great Crested Flycatcher  1
      Eastern Kingbird  2
      Warbling Vireo  1
      Blue Jay  1
      American Crow  2
      Tree Swallow  30
      Barn Swallow  15
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
      Eastern Bluebird  4
      American Robin  24
      Gray Catbird  1
      European Starling  5
      Cedar Waxwing  2
      Common Yellowthroat  6
      Yellow Warbler  3
      Eastern Towhee  1
      Chipping Sparrow  1
      Field Sparrow  1
      Song Sparrow  8
      Northern Cardinal  1
      Indigo Bunting  1
      Dickcissel  1
      Bobolink  2
      Red-winged Blackbird  35
      Eastern Meadowlark  1
      Western Meadowlark  1    Maybe 2 singing.
      Common Grackle  15
      Brown-headed Cowbird  1
      Baltimore Oriole  4
      American Goldfinch  4