Re: IBET Greater Prairie Chickens - VIDEO

  • robirdman@theearlybirder.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2012
      That video was really neat. I had never seen that before, only stills. It seems pretty close, and Jackie had said that it was 65 yards away. I had thought about going there to photograph previously, but the website and manager said it is 300 yards away, which is too far for good shots. What is the actual distance?
      Rob

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2012
        We estimate that the birds were sometimes 25 yards away (during the close-ups in the video), at the most 50 yards away. We were using a Swarovski's latest 80mm ATM HD spotting scope (Swaroski's latest scopes are better and worth the cost - the only reason we have a new one is due to the fact that our older one was stolen out of the trunk of our car about a year ago) with a wide angle 25-50mm lens (wide angle makes a huge difference) and a Nikon J1 camera mounted onto it with a Swarovski universal mount.

        Let me know if that helps.

        Chrissy McClarren
        St. Louis MO
        wildreturn@...