Virginia Rail

  • Richard A A Biss
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2004
      I just heart a Virginia Rail calling in the marsh behind our house. We
      have had Woodcocks the last couple of weeks, but I didn't hear them
      tonight. I also had a couple of migrating Common Loons Tuesday and
      Wednesday, as well as a Harrier. No Pelicans or Whooping Cranes, but I
      was looking. The Sandhills woke us up at 5 am yesterday. Maybe they
      will succeed in their nest this year.

      Richard Biss
      Lake Villa
      bissbirds@...
    • Richard A A Biss
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2004
        For the last hour I have been hearing a Virginia Rail constantly doing
        the end of its "kicker call". It sounds very much like the rhythm of a
        Black Rail but it ends in a trill. So it sounds like Ki ki trill,
        instead of Ki ki do. I have never heard one giving this call for such a
        long period of time. It is missing the usual introductory notes that
        Virginias usually give when doing this call. It has not once done any of
        its normal calls. I had actually thought it was a Black Rail when I
        first heard it.
        I saw a flock of 6 Common loons migrating north this morning, and
        yesterday had a flock of 18 migrating Bonapartes Gulls. I think I
        found where the Cranes are nesting, but they are impossible to see unless
        they stand up, as the marsh grass is hiding them very well and there is
        very little open water.

        Richard Biss
        Lake Villa
        bissbirds@...
      • bob shelby
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 24, 2007
          I flushed a Virginia Rail today while I was tractor mowing at Prairie Ridge SNA in Jasper County. The rail ran out of the tall grass to the shorter mowed grass. It looked at me for a few seconds then weaved its way through the grass, away from the tractor.
          Bob Shelby
          West Salem, Edwards Co.
          bobshelby_1956@...
        • bob shelby
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 23, 2012
            After counting chickens early this morning, I checked the Robert Ridgway tract east of the Jasper Co. PRSNA office. I observed a Va.Rail at the wetland.
            Earlier this week Leroy and I found a small group of Smith's Longspurs in a corn stubble field south of the office.
            Bob Shelby
            West Salem, Edwards Co.
            bobshelby_1956@...