North Pond

  • NorekJ@aol.com
    Message 1 of 63 , Apr 16, 2011
      foy Palm Warbler and Common Yellowthroat at North Pond, in the drizzle of
      this morning (4/16/11).

      That suggested an interesting walk later, but temperature dropped and wind
      has risen.

      Joan Norek
      Chicago
      norekj@...

      Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the
      tune without the words - and never stops at all. - Emily Dickinson

    • Joan Norek
      Message 63 of 63 , Oct 18, 2015
        Hi folks

        As many already know, Harris's Sparrow has been seen in multiple locations in the Chicago area the past few days, including the one seen by many moving with a flock of White-crowned at Whalon Lake (Will Co.) this weekend.

        Well North Pond finally caught up with the crowd. An immature Harris's was seen when it flew out of the east meadow and perched briefly on a shoreline tree before dropping down into the grassy slope area.

        (Had Harris's at this site in spring so searching was possibly more to keep up the record for this species in fall at NP -- my first being an adult in 2010.)

        Spend close to an hour around the east meadow because most of the sparrows seen/heard were in there, the light was bright early afternoon and shrunken leaves made some viewing possible. There wasn't a huge number of sparrows but a variety including a LeConte's that I would have missed if I wasn't on my knees peering in at the moment.

        Good birdings,