origin of the Cinnamon Teal at North Pond (no sightings)

  • Geoffrey A. Williamson
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
      Dear IL-birders:

      After the 23 March edition of the North Pond Bird Walks, I spent some time watching the Cinnamon Teal that's been there for a while. What was most interesting was that during that time I caught sight of an oddly positioned band high up on the bird's right leg. In normal postures the band is not visible, but while I was watching it the teal was reaching back with its bill and probing in the general area like the band was bothering it. I wonder if the band is stuck somehow in an unnatural position and this is why the bird was limping a couple of weeks ago.

      Anyway, while the bird was fussing at its leg, I was able piece together the band numbers. I sent these in, and yesterday I got information back on the bird. I think people will be interested to know that the bird was actually banded in eastern Siberia! Apparently it is in the subspecies Anas cyanoptera primaaprilis, sometimes called the Chukchi Cinnamon Teal. This is a little known subspecies that breeds on a handful of ponds in the Chukchi Peninsula. Between last night and today I traded email with Pavel Valerievich Datsyuk, who is involved with one on the banding operations over there. He told me that there is a forthcoming article in the Russian Journal of Ornithology that proposes to split the bird. If the AOU accepts the split, the North Pond bird will probably be the first documented North American record! I thought people would want to know. Pavel told me that the best feature for separating it from the other Cinnamon Teal subspecies is a pale over in the center of the belly, best seen on birds flying overhead. I'm not sure how often we'd get to see this on the North Pond bird.

      I haven't had time to look into any of the details about this subspecies. If anyone finds some web resources on subspecies, please post. I'm especially curious about the meaning of the Latin name, since I'm not very good with Latin.

      Good birding,
      Geoff

      Geoffrey A. Williamson
      Chicago, Cook County
      geoffrey.williamson@...
    • Steve Huggins
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
        Geoff
        Nice one!!! I was thinking this might be the case...
        And does the date have anything to do with this? :)
        Steve

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
          Well, prima aprilis is April 1...
          Great April Fools joke, Geoff.

          Alex Bloss
          Chicago

          To: ILbirds@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
            Interestingly, an article in The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
            (RSPB) publication written by a Alexander Mikhaylovich Ovechkin, makes reference
            to this research. It is in the April edition.

            Craig Taylor
            LaGrange, IL

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
              So, is this an April's Fool trick or not? A previous email said it was.

              I usually don't read the long, pedantic emails on IBET but this time I did.

              If it is a joke, why do people always make fun of Siberia?

              Chris Kelly
              Lombard

            • NorekJ@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                Geoff's "Anas cyanoptera primaaprilis" tale is possibly better understood
                in the context of the fact that the Cinnamon Teal is a "New World only"
                (think N. & S. America) species.

                It came close to topping the Rough-legged Hawk story he told last fall
                after a North Pond walk -- which so blanked my mind I failed to realize how
                silly it was until the part about recognizing a death scream!

                Thanks Geoff -- today's ibet post brightened an otherwise gloomy and overly
                pressed day.

                Joan Norek
                Chicago
                norekj@...

                Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the
                tune without the words - and never stops at all. - Emily Dickinson

              • rkdx@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                  Great April Fools joke. Well thought out. By the way, for those who don't
                  know, Alexander Mikhaylovich Ovechkin is a hockey player who plays for the
                  Washington Capitols.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                    I think we should send Geoff to Siberia. Then we can make fun of him in Siberia!!

                    Joan Bruchman

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                      I only follow the chicago black HAWKs.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                        If you know Geoff, you know he is a hockey nut.

                        As I read his post trying to make sense out of it, I read the part where he was communicating with Pavel Valerievich Datsyuk.

                        And I smiled. Nice touch, Geoff.

                        Pavel Valerievich Datsyuk; (born July 20, 1978) is a Russian professional ice hockey player and alternate captain for the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League (NHL). He is known for his stick-handling and is considered one of the best two-way forwards in the game today, having won the Frank J. Selke Trophy in the 2007–08, 2008–09, and 2009–10 NHL seasons. Datsyuk has also won four consecutive Lady Byng Memorial Trophies for performance and sportsmanship. He was nominated for the Hart Memorial Trophy as the league's most valuable player following the 2008–09 season. Datsyuk won the Stanley Cup in 2002 and 2008 with the Red Wings.

                        I figured if most people missed Datsyuk, maybe they'd catch Ovechkin, considered to be the best player currently in the NHL.

                        Well played Geoff.

                        He shoots, HE SCORES!!!!!!!

                        "Do you eBird?"

                        Craig A. Taylor
                        La Grange, Illinois
                        Cook County

                        "Behold the birds of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Matt. 6 : 26

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                          didn't Geoff break an IBET rule, or somethin' i mean, really, i refused to look at any more IBET postings the rest of today! ;] onto tomorrow and here's to leavin' fools behind.

                          peace, n.

                          Nancy J. Tikalsky

                          2913 Elisha Ave.
                          Zion, IL 60099
                          773.655.0269
                          I am thankful for my Earth. ~ Sarah Phillips, age 6
                          Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world . ~ Margaret Mead
                          I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. ~ John Muir

                          An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. ~ Mahatma Gandhi
                          Hope is the dream of the waking man. ~ Aristotle
                          A room without books is like a body without a soul. ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero
                          /|\ Please consider the environment before printing this email

                          To: ilbirds@yahoogroups.com

                          From: Geoffrey A. Williamson <_geoffrey.williamson@..._

                        • aphillips@saic.edu
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 2, 2011
                            As a long time casual birder, I was taken by the April fool joke, but hugely
                            amused when I caught up to it. This guy Geoff is a great wag! Sad to see,
                            however, that some birders take themselves and their pursuit so seriously as to
                            be offended.

                            Tony Phillips