Southern Illinois Trip This Week - Red-shouldered Hawks

  • Vic Berardi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      My wife Ann and I took this past week off to venture into southern Illinois (from Ware to Vienna) in pursuit of Red-shouldered Hawks, Black Vultures and whatever else we could find.

      From Tuesday, December 28th through Thursday December 30th we saw at least 30 individual RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS, 15 BLACK VULTURES, hundreds of TURKEY VULTURES, 17 BALD EAGLES, over 30 RED-TAILED HAWKS and numerous NORTHERN HARRIERS. AMERICAN KESTRELS seemed to be every hundred yards or so on power/telephone lines. A stop to Union County Conservation Area also yielded thousands of SNOW GEESE, with GREATER WHITE-FRONTED and CANADA amongst them.

      On our way down, we stopped to have a look at the juvenile Harlan's Hawk on the entrance ramp at Lexington.

      If interested in reading a further account of our short but fun trip along with a few photos go to:
      http://www.nabirding.com/2011/01/01/southern-illinois-raptor-trip-2010/

      Thanks!
      Vic Berardi
      Lake County